No One Ever Warns You About Days Like These!

Business By l_rock Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 2:45am by scp1127

l_rock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_rock Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

so i'm living the dream - i have started my own cake business and i'm actually making money ( who would have thought icon_biggrin.gif ). but unless you count the unwavering support of my husband .. im doing this on my own,no shop full of staff,no minion to do my bidding... just me and a few delivery drivers. normally thats fine - but today i wake up and i feel like death warmed up....all i want to do is go back to bed...but i can't! i have obligations,people relying on me.....so onwards i go (with more than a little help from my husband)
when you talk to anyone about starting your own business,they warn you about accounting and staff and finding good vendors...no one mentions the days when you feel sick and just want to forget the world while snuggled in bed.
so i'm putting the question out there to all the other cake decorators...
what did no one warn you about when you jumped into this crazy business of cake?

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 5

If you need the money, do it anyway. If you don't need the money, slow it down.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 5

I hope you're feeling better!

For me, it wasn't so much that "nobody warned me", because I own another business so I knew what it took to run a business, but I started this cake thing as a "hobby/mental therapy" lol, and I never expected it could become so demanding.

Meaning the clients could be so demanding.

Fortunately I have the luxury of controlling that by saying "I'm booked", because if I depended on this for my livelihood....I think I'd go nuts or I would end up hating it.

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 5

I feel the same way. After the day I had I'm realizing that I would rather spend time with my family than keep up the pace I have been.

Sometimes, something has to give....

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:45am
post #5 of 5

I was playing "mom" when I commented. But it is a blessing to have work when you need the money, even if you are dead on your feet. There will be time for rest. But I can remember when I was younger with three small girls, two jobs, and a home rehab every two years. The feeling of being tired is much better than that feeling of wondering how to pay the bills. One day, it changed to where I had plenty of money because of my efforts and I got to slow down, as will happen to you.

I would suggest that you find some time off so that you don't burn out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%