Need Help - Candy Coating On Cake Pops Melts Back

Baking By ldlm1976 Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm by ldlm1976

ldlm1976 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 8

Any suggestion on what is the best candy coating melt to use on a cake pop...or how to harden the candy coating on a cake pop..

I am trying to make a cake pop party favor and the party is gonna be out in the park on a warm day.

I made my first attempt on a cake pop last night and when I took it outside to my car this morning, the coating turned smudgy and soft.

Is there any trick to keep the coating hard?

Thanks!

7 replies
TinkerCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 8

All the coatings I am aware of will not be good in the heat. Maybe you could keep them in a cooler until just before serving???? or as they are leaving if it's a party favor....

lilcakebaker Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 8

I use Almond Bark and it holds up pretty well in warm areas.

tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 8

Chocolate coating melts in the heat, not much you can do if you're going to leave it out.

deesweets Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 8

I have a similar issue, mine seem to sweat oil. Is this the oil in the cake oozing out from being pressed together and covered in the candy melts.

tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 8

Probably the oil in the candy melts.

brandy7909 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 8

if there is oil leaking out then the cake was chilled for too long and is now making them "sweat".
I had some success with high humidity and coating my cake pops in candy melt (I use only Wilton candy melts). If they are out of direct sunlight and not touched they should hold up for a few hours anyway, i mean we were not experiencing extreme heat it was like 28 C out and felt more like 34 C with the humidity.

ldlm1976 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions! I guess I could just hand out the favors pretty early on so they can eat it before it really melts icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%