Is This Recipe Not Appropriate For Cupcakes?

Baking By KayMc Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 12:46am by scp1127

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 12

My favorite chocolate cake recipe is the one on the Hershey's cocoa tin - I think it's called Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake. I made this into cupcakes this week, and they seemed to fall apart easily. I always substitute sour cream for the milk in the recipe.

Is this not a good recipe for cupcakes, or did I screw it up somehow? The flavor was wonderful, of course, as this recipe is wonderful tasting. It was just so soft, when the cupcake paper liner was pulled away, the cake seemed to fall apart.

I'm hoping I can use this for cupcakes, as I love this recipe....

11 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 12

It works perfectly for me. The texture is great and it comes out of the liner intact. It domes when I want and stays flat when I want. Keep trying. Check you oven temp calibration. Also use 1tsp each on the leaveners. I use the sc sub also. I also add some espresso powder to the water.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 12

Glorious Treats uses it for cupcakes. Check out her post to see if she's made some changes. It's very good. I use this recipe and another one.

http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2010/04/recipe-perfectly-chocolate-cupcakes.html

KayMc Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 12

Well, I thought these were good for cupcakes; thanks for all your input. Guess I'll have to try again.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 12

It also works great for me. I also sub sour cream for the milk and add espresso powder to the boiling water. I will say, when I used milk instead of sour cream, they tended not to hold together as well....but you use sour cream, so I don't know why they fall apart. It's a good recipe so I would try it again.

KayMc Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 12

While it tastes good with the milk, the cake (not cupcakes) always sank in the middle. It has a better crumb with the sour cream, AND it doesn't sink. I don't know why these cupcakes were so soft....

scp1127 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 12

I still think it is your oven temp. I use the cheap $5.00 thermometers from Walmart. Periodically, I put them all in the same oven to make sure THEY are calibrated. I never bake without them.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:28am
post #8 of 12

Geez, I am a box mix baker, and have been afraid of trying to bake from scratch. You guys have gave me the courage to try again. I hope I don't get too frustrated because when I tried it before, I could never get consistant size cupcakes, and a lot of times, they didn't turn out. Here's Hoping icon_rolleyes.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #9 of 12

I use this recipe all the time for cup cakes, it's simply delicious. I use soy vanilla milk instead as a substitute & it is moist as can be.
Try again, sometimes it's just a matter of working it out to your oven.

scp1127 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:16am
post #10 of 12

I abuse this recipe with all kinds of baked-in fillings too.

For filling, I use a dispenser because this is a thin batter. I fill this one 2/3 full because it really rises. Just practice filling evenly. If you over-fill some, spoon a little out. This is something you just have to feel by experience. On thicker batters, I have a collection of scoops, or dashers. Because all of my recipes are so different, I write the size of the scoop on the recipe for future reference.

I have my oven temp at about 375 convect and immediately turn it to 325 convect. I bring the temp up before each new batch. The toothpick method, touch, and smell method all work on this recipe to test doneness. Don't overcook. To learn a new recipe, just bake one or two cc's and take notes, take them out, break them open after a little cooling and see how they look and taste. When you are confident you have the right time and temp, bake the batch. Every oven is different.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis756

Geez, I am a box mix baker, and have been afraid of trying to bake from scratch. You guys have gave me the courage to try again. I hope I don't get too frustrated because when I tried it before, I could never get consistant size cupcakes, and a lot of times, they didn't turn out. Here's Hoping icon_rolleyes.gif

Chocolate scratch cake is much easier to get "right" than white or vanilla....or at least I think so. Give this one a try, for sure! I use a liquid measuring cup (one with a spout) to fill the liners because the batter is very thin. In fact, you'll probably think you didn't add enough flour but it's supposed to be that way. It also rises well, so I only fill the liners about 1/2 full.

Also, when I add the boiling water/espresso, I like to stir it in by hand, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl. If you don't, you'll have a thicker layer of batter on the bottom that the paddle can't reach....unless you have a "bowl scraping" paddle.

scp1127 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:46am
post #12 of 12

amaryllis, check out Warren Brown's site and his book. I am convinced his recipes are fail-proof. It is a book geared to learning scratch baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%