Scraping Cold Smbc For A Smooth Finish

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 5

Does anybody do this?? I saw this done on a video once. You ice your cake in smbc and put it in the freezer for several minutes, take it out and smooth it with a bench scraper. It works very well to get a nice finish....however, I am noticing that once it comes back to room temp, there are little bumps all over it (I think it is tiny pockets of air underneath). You can really only see them if you get up close to the cake, but it still bothers me. Wondering if anyone else uses this technique and might be able to help me out with this problem. Thanks!

4 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 5

I do this.

If you have air pockets in your SMBC then it will have air pockets in your finished product. You also need to make sure you don't over-cook your eggs. I had no idea why a one cake I did had a strange almost gritty finish to my buttercream - until I realized I overcooked my eggs and they actually scrambled a little bit, which I didn't think they could do with all the sugar in them. I didn't notice it until I started scraping away and then tasted the buttercream.

Jen

springlakecake Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 5

I have had the little bits of hard stuff before too. This is something else, it's definitely air underneath the bumps (they are tiny bumps) but they werent visable before I do the cold scraping. I guess i don't know how to prevent them. this doesnt happen to you?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 5

I am the last person to be posting advice on decorating, but maybe my novice approach will help. I use IMBC, but I don't think that matters. I add slightly too much frosting so that I can take some off. With the cold frosting, you can add a little pressure so that any little hole will fill.

springlakecake Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 5

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%