Sunflower Cutter - Which Do I Get?

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm by sabre

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 11

I've got a topsy turvy cake (6-8-10") with sunflowers due in a month and i'm trying to figure out what is a good sunflower cutter set and leaf cutter set. I'll need a couple different sizes, and see a couple different design cutters, but not sure which to get. Any suggestions?

10 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 11

Did you mean ordinary sunflower and leaf cutters or the ones that "vein" or "emboss" the fondant aswell?

mplaidgirl2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 11

I used this for the sunflower cake I did

Check my pics. I just used petal dust to make it look sunflowery.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 11

I also rolled out a larger piece of brown fondant for the middle to make it look more like a sunflower. I love silicone molds!

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 11


i'm open to either one. i only need to make about 9 flowers.. 6 for on the cakes and 3 "just in case" flowers. i'm not opposed to veining myself, but i know that'll cut down on labor if i get one that does it for me.

and do i really need to get the sunflower leaf cutter, or can i just free-hand cut the shapes? and what kind of veiner should i use for that?

JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 11

I've just had a look and I think embossed plunger cutters are the best, like the sunflower and leaf ones on this UK website,

They come in a set of three different sizes, and the embossed ones give a hint of realism to the fondant

It is completely up to you if you would like to vein them yourself, there are sets of ordinary cutters like on this website,

A little tip though if you do vein them yourself, use a craft tool or a knife, but use the back of the knife so you don't slice through the fondant so much.

Hope this helps good luck! thumbs_up.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 11

I don't really think you need to splash out on a sunflower leaf cutter, I don't think people will notice if its not a sunflower leaf icon_smile.gif

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 11

thanks everyone! can I use any leaf veiner? I don't have any, and i'd like to get one that'll be able to use for other flowers too!

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 11


i love your name btw.. i just tried to look at the UK website, and it's coming up not found. suggestions?

JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 11
sabre Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 11

PME is a UK brand that makes embossed plunger cutters. You can find them at j e s t e r s cake for a reasonable price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%