Sunflower Cutter - Which Do I Get?

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm by sabre

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 11

I've got a topsy turvy cake (6-8-10") with sunflowers due in a month and i'm trying to figure out what is a good sunflower cutter set and leaf cutter set. I'll need a couple different sizes, and see a couple different design cutters, but not sure which to get. Any suggestions?

10 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 11

Hi,
Did you mean ordinary sunflower and leaf cutters or the ones that "vein" or "emboss" the fondant aswell?

mplaidgirl2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 11

I used this for the sunflower cake I did

http://www.nycake.com/rose-2-1.aspx

Check my pics. I just used petal dust to make it look sunflowery.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 11

I also rolled out a larger piece of brown fondant for the middle to make it look more like a sunflower. I love silicone molds!

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 11

jamandbuttercream,

i'm open to either one. i only need to make about 9 flowers.. 6 for on the cakes and 3 "just in case" flowers. i'm not opposed to veining myself, but i know that'll cut down on labor if i get one that does it for me.

and do i really need to get the sunflower leaf cutter, or can i just free-hand cut the shapes? and what kind of veiner should i use for that?

JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 11

Hi,
I've just had a look and I think embossed plunger cutters are the best, like the sunflower and leaf ones on this UK website,

http://www.surbitonart.co.uk/acatalog/Sugarcraft_Catalogue_PME_Cutter_210.html

They come in a set of three different sizes, and the embossed ones give a hint of realism to the fondant

It is completely up to you if you would like to vein them yourself, there are sets of ordinary cutters like on this website,

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=656&s=465&name=Gumpaste%20Cutters/Flower%20Cutters

A little tip though if you do vein them yourself, use a craft tool or a knife, but use the back of the knife so you don't slice through the fondant so much.

Hope this helps good luck! thumbs_up.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 11

PS,
I don't really think you need to splash out on a sunflower leaf cutter, I don't think people will notice if its not a sunflower leaf icon_smile.gif

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 11

thanks everyone! can I use any leaf veiner? I don't have any, and i'd like to get one that'll be able to use for other flowers too!

CutieMcCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 11

jamandbuttercream,

i love your name btw.. i just tried to look at the UK website, and it's coming up not found. suggestions?

JamAndButtercream Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 11
sabre Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 11

PME is a UK brand that makes embossed plunger cutters. You can find them at j e s t e r s cake supply.com for a reasonable price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%