Your Wedding Cake?

Decorating By SweetSuzieQ Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 4:47am by syndll

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm
post #61 of 81

Here is mine! i got married last year Oct 16th 2010 and did both the wedding cake, dessert table, and edible favors myself the week before the wedding. It was very hectic to say the least.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2067058

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:05pm
post #62 of 81

We got married on October 8th, 2005. We only had one rule, no fondant since my husband had it and hated it. I'd never had fondant but when the decorator/owner told us about the upcharge, I was fine with it too. We found our cake decorator at a bridal show, only picked him because the taste of the cakes were amazing. We saw lots of pretty cakes at the bridal show but most were awful. As it turns out Norm Davis of The Sweet Life Cakery made our cake. Back then he was little known, but since he's been on several foodnetwork challenges and has been recognized all over the place for his work. The cake was a almond cake with a french vanilla mouse. It was so good, the best cake I'd ever eaten. Being it a wedding, I didn't get to each much of it and our only regret was we didn't eat more of our wedding cake. We are huge disney fans, we didn't have a disney themed wedding, kept it simple with black and white.

Image[/img]

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:13pm
post #63 of 81

I got married in 1995, and my mom let the caterer do the cake. I had 150 people at the wedding, it was very traditional and fancy, and the cake was supposed to be at least 3 tiers. I got to the reception and my aunts were standing in front of the cake trying to hide it from me, lol, finally they moved, and the cake was an 8" and a 6" Round, The caterer decided to just bake a sheetcake and "not mess with it"! Could have KILLED her!!!!! After much deliberation the caterer decided she was in the wrong and only charged my mother for the sheet cake, $140, the original cake was quoted at $675. You wanna talk about Bridezilla, I was all ready to kick off my shoes and go to the kitchen and whoop her!!!!

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:00pm
post #64 of 81

We had FOUR cakes! icon_eek.gif

No joke. It was a crazy, but perfect day; my husband works for a church, and we wanted to be able to celebrate with our church family even though we couldn't afford to invite them all to the reception...so our good friend made us a 5 tiered pink lemonade cake with lemon BC frosting, and surprised us with a second, chocolate grooms cake with fudge icing and chocolate covered strawberries.

Then we had our family reception that night, and I had a 5-tiered white chocolate pound cake with key lime BC filling, and our grooms' cake was red velvet (DH's favorite). Both covered in BC with fondant accents. Everything was so yummy...I was too nervous to make my own cake, but I'm making a friend's in December, I hope I can do it justice!

here are pics:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1371340570245&set=t.1433670158&type=1

and

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1371309009456&set=t.1433670158&type=1

....I got outvoted in my desire for a small wedding, but when it came down to it, we were surrounded by a million family and friends, and I wouldn't trade it for the world! Only regret is that I did not videotape our ceremony. as a music director, DH arranged all the hymns, and our friends sang and played: we had a full choir and orchestra!

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:06pm
post #65 of 81

I love reading all the stories!

We got married in June of 2007. We had an incredibly hectic wedding day, to say the least! His parents ended up refusing to come to the wedding and my mother had two mini strokes the morning of and spent my wedding day in ICU. I barely remember anything about my reception or the food EXCEPT my cake. I LOVED my cake. It was alternating layers of Bailey's Irish Cream cake with Chocolate Mousse filling and a Marble cake with Raspberry filling. It was literally the only thing I ate at my reception and I ate a lot of cake. I kept going from table to table and grabbing the uneaten/unclaimed pieces and telling the guests that I hadn't tried that flavor yet!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/attendedunsig/n18400628_34532362_8161.jpg

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #66 of 81

Mine was in 1995 as well. I had a really dear friend who was a really talented, meticulous cake decorator who made my cake. I was very fortunate, because before I was married, she basically decided she wasnt going to do cakes anymore, she was burned out, so many people had taken advantage of her. My biggest problem was that I had no idea what I wanted. So I went with a pretty simple design. I would prob pick out something different looking back, but it turned out really lovely and I truly appreciate the lovely "gift" she gave me. Not only did she make an exception for me, she also didnt charge me.

I still love my wedding dress.. long sleeved because it was February (although, here is Sunny CA, really doesnt matter too much, lol) and my bridesmaids dresses were burgandy with a similar line.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2127568

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:47am
post #67 of 81

I made mine - but it was a dummy cake. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1882095 I did however bake 200 cupcakes and ice them all the day before my wedding, and everyone had them as dessert. We did a fake cake cutting - I don't think anyone knew it was fake. It is in my Mom's basement now! Also - the photographer got several shots of the side of the cake - none of the front :S

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:52am
post #68 of 81

Following on from my earlier post and story, I emailed my aunt to see if she had any photos... here's what she came up with.

*sigh*... these were taken 16 years, 2 children and three and a half stone (50lb) ago!) icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

As I said in my previous post, I wasn't into cake decorating AT ALL back then. I just gave the caterer a photo of my friend's cake, that I'd liked, and said I wanted one like that in my colours (white, trimmed with peach). My friend's flowers were better... fuller sprays! icon_wink.gif And you can't see properly, but there are garrett frills around the side of the cake. I have absolutely no idea what type of cake it was inside, either! LOL!!

Oh how I LOVED my dress. And the day after my wedding, I had my bouquet delivered to someone who presses flowers and I have it beautifully pressed and framed now. x

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:21am
post #69 of 81

Great photos and stories. Relzinc you were a beautiful bride and your dress is gorgeous.

ATL_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATL_Cakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:56pm
post #70 of 81

We were married in Oct 2008 and I had Publix do our flowers and cake! Hey, you can't beat a 1 delivery fee for both. They did a great job and I absolutely loved my cake. Also, the cake topper was made from clay from a guy in Canada(magicmud.com). I paid more for the topper than the cake! The cake was delicious on our 1 year anniversary.

We had about 35 people at our wedding, but I still wanted a big cake. Plus, I didn't want a white cake, so we used the pink which was in our invitations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nhanks/3098029131/
(around the bottom of the topper, it told the story of our relationship)
Here's a better picture: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.639856450765.2231866.38401973&l=8cec72aa29&type=1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nhanks/3091766878/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nhanks/3091577492/

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm
post #71 of 81

I'm much too lazy to find where those pictures are stored, but mine was made by a dear friend who offered to do it as a wedding present since I was far too poor to purchase one. I have always been grateful for her generosity and now that I have some skills, I try to pay it forward by making wedding cakes as gifts for my friends if they find themselves in need icon_smile.gif

Sweetestdreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:10pm
post #72 of 81

I got married in Oct 2009 and my now mother-in-law made the cake. At the time really the only options around here were either having the grocery store make it, finding a home baker (which is just now legal) or paying someone from Dallas or Austin to come to town. I was having a Disney themed wedding ( I used to work there) so she made a square with a heart shaped cake on top of that, black pillars holding up the square top tier with a white castle as my topper (like Cinderellas). In between the pillars she had made a rose in a glass case like the enchanted rose on Beauty and the Beast. Each tier had a black ribbon going around it. I had wanted a Red Velvet cake but she wasn't comfortable trying to cover the red cake in white buttercream (neither one of use knew much about fondant yet, although thats all i use now) so she was just going to do a vanilla cake (still verry yummy). My husbands cake was to be his favorite, german chocolate with Malificant (Dragon off Sleeping Beauty) on it. When we were cutting his cake, I saw that she had added a black rose on the cake (my favorite flower) to match the Malificent with purple cream cheese icing. When we cut the cake, it was red velvet. Her and my husband had decided to change his cake so I could still have my favorite without telling me. As we cut it and I saw the red cake, John said " you made it bleed!"

Really I wasn't picky on how my cake looked, I just wanted to keep it simple so I didn't cause her any unneeded problems and I wanted to use the castle on the top of mine and Malificent on his. Everything else from the Enchanted rose to the black ribbon and black rose was her doing based on what she knew about me, and I absolutely loved my cakes.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #73 of 81

Please keep in mind as you post to this thread that your Cake Central photo gallery is only for photos of cakes that you have made yourself.

If you wish to post photos of your wedding cakes that you did not make yourself, please either post them in this forum or provide a link to another site.

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:56am
post #74 of 81

I was married on July 4, 2004. My wedding was red/white/blue and I wanted a tiered cake made out of star shapes but my husband's godmother who was making the cake said you couldn't do that. Instead we got several individual star cakes that were iced in white and sprayed with the Wilton red and blue spray! They were not decorated to my taste but they tasted wonderful and served their purpose!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:33pm
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I don't have electronic pictures of mine.

Well, now I do and OMG!!!! My wedding cake was a cake wreck and I didn't even know it icon_lol.gif.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g357/lindacloutier/Misc/ourweddingcakewreck.jpg

Note the mismatched, too big cake plates. Also, the 2nd cake from the top looks like an unintentional topsy turvy and the bottom is SERIOUSLY unlevel. Even one of the satellite cakes (the one on the left) looks a little wonky. I had NO IDEA at the time, I loved it. I also thought it was tiered but it turns out it wasn't.

I know this thread is a little old, but when I came across the picture I just had to come back and post icon_rolleyes.gif.

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mala Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:01am
post #76 of 81

I got married 3 years ago, and so yeah I made my own wedding cake,LOL! It was a 3 tier chocolate mud cake w/ chocolate and vanilla flavored cheesecake fillings. Cake and cheesecake was all eggless/vegetarian. It was my first tier cake and wedding cake, and now waiting for the 2nd,LMAO!Image

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:57am
post #77 of 81

We eloped, so no cake for me icon_cry.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:40am
post #78 of 81

I love this thread. I love seeing everyones wedding cakes and kudos to those who made their own. I can't imagine. I got married 2 years ago and I knew I couldn't make my own wedding cake. We had a small casual mexican wedding so we decided to do a dessert table. My mom made some family recipes, mexican wedding cakes (cookies actually) , pralines, buenulas and we had a couple of cakes as well.
Here is a pic of the cake table
http://www.keeponcaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/cake-table-sm.jpg

What was funny and probably really offensive to the cake community is my husbands groom cake. He picked this out on our 3rd date.

http://www.keeponcaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/grooms-cake-sm.jpg
You can see the photographer didn't catch it before someone got into it.

Oh and instead of a formal cake cutting we busted a pinataicon_smile.gif It was fun.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #79 of 81

I love this thread. I keep forgetting to scan in some of our cake photos. We got married in 1987 so I don't have any on the computer.

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:03am
post #80 of 81

My mom taught me how to decorate cakes and she made mine. It was 16"-6" rounds, each a different flavor and filling. Very simple decorations. After seeing so many cakes people asked for which I thought were beautiful as a child become dated and cheesy as I grew up I wanted something classic. My poor mom though, the 16" cake broke when she was filling it and she had to bake a new one hours before our reception.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=104688846220115&set=t.698710986&type=3&theater

syndll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syndll Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:47am
post #81 of 81

I love this thread too!

We got married on August 27, 2011 and I made our cakes, all seven of them. My DH did all of our catering, so we may both be certifiably insane. Oh, did I mention that I also made mini apple pies as favours?

Here's my cake:

It was lemon pound cake with lemon curd and fresh raspberries between the layers, covered in vanilla buttercream. My original plan was to cover it in marshmallow fondant, which I did make, the day before our wedding. Unfortunately there was a heat wave that weekend and our un-airconditioned apartment was approximately the same temperature as the surface of the sun. It was so hot and humid that rolling fondant was IMPOSSIBLE, plus, I was exhausted from making the other six cakes and stressed to the freak-out point, soooo, long story short, I plastered it with buttercream and called it a day.

Oh! I also made the cake stand~!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%