What Is This?

Decorating By Mandyjb74 Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 9:38pm by pusskin

Mandyjb74 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 14

I am reading some instructions in cake magazine and it says to place a pattern under "run-out film" maybe I'm being stupid but I don't know what that is can someone help as google couldn't

13 replies
okred Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 14

I think it means wax paper?

Mandyjb74 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks another stupid question is wax paper the same as parchment or greaseproof paper or is it something completely different

leah_s Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 14

I suspect that if this is a high end or pro pastry magazine (or British or Aussie) they are referring to an acrylic sheet. We also use acrylic strips in chocolate work. A chocolatier/high end pastry chef would readily have such a product available in the kitchen.

newbaker55 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 14

Probably waxed paper. Parchment and grease-proof (i.e. coated butcher's wrap) are different products.

You can see through waxed paper and it releases relatively easily from set buttercream and royal icing. HTH icon_smile.gif

Mandyjb74 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 14

In that case I have a big problem I have been out all morning and can't find wax paper or acrylic sheet anywhere and I want to make a royal icing plague for the top of my sons cake can anyone advice me what else I could use

cakesnglass Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 14

The wax paper is available at any grocery store the brand name is Reynolds Cut-Rite wax paper next to the aluminum foil in the paper isle (blue box). I would use this for royal as it will be easier to release once dry. Allow to dry for a few days the turn the plaque over and gently release/roll the wax paper off slowly away from the plaque, good luck!!

pusskin Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 14

The plasticy sheet protectors that you put pages in so you don't need to punch holes will work. It needs to be flexible so that you can peel it off the run out once it is dry. Polish your pocket first and peel it off with tension ( like the mat video shows to separate mat and fondant). HTH

Yours aye

Mandyjb74 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks so much I have loads of those

FACSlady Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 14

Long ago a boyfriend from the UK teased me for calling greaseproof paper waxed paper, so I gather they are the same thing.

pusskin Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 14

Glad I could help

CarolWI Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 14

Run-out film is parchment paper

kakeladi Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 14

OP said: "want to make a royal icing plague "............

Yes, the plastic page sheet will work however it is not food safe.
Plastic wrap (in the US) is a much better product to use for this technique.
Put your pattern on something solid - like a cookie sheet - and cover with plastic wrap - making sure it is wrinkle free and go to it icon_smile.gif
The finished, dried item will come off the plastic wrap easily. If it doesn't it most likely is not dry completely through.

pusskin Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 14

My brain was obviously not functioning I didn't think of food safe or not just that that is what my teacher used. I have however been reminded that it is acetate that you are looking for the same as for doing gelatine flowers.

Yours aye

Quote by @%username% on %date%