Teaching Cake Classes And Using Someone Elses Designs?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm by mplaidgirl2

cocobean Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 7:11am
post #1 of 14

Im teaching some cake classes and find other peoples designs that I think I would love to teach. Do I need to make the item myself first, take a picture of it then post on my website showing what we will be making (giving credit to the originator) or is it o.k. to post the other persons picture on my site announcing that is what we will be making and giving full credit to the designer? Are any of thes situations correct or are they both wrong. I don't want to step on toes.

I have asked people for permisson to post a picture of theirs on my site before and have been given the go ahead but some people I have asked don't answere one way or the other. icon_confused.gif

13 replies
FleurDeCake Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:03am
post #2 of 14

I think it is better to come up with your own design . I know we all at some point are asked to replicate a cake that a client may see here or on a website , but I personally don't like to do that I try to steer them toward a sinilar cake that is my design . If you are going to teach a class on how to do a particular cake then wouldn't it be better if it was something that was your original from start to finish .

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:12am
post #3 of 14

I read that you asked if you could post pics on your site, but did you also ask for permission to teach the design? This is something I strongly suggest, as I have discussed this with many master decorators, and got mixed results, about 40% yes to 60% no.

If you did not receive a reply, I would count those inquiries as negative responses.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Fairytale Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:15am
post #4 of 14

I agree with the other comments. You would be better off coming up with your own designs. I especially don't think you should use someone elses picture to show what you will be making, even if you got permission. It doesn't show the quality of your work.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:16am
post #5 of 14

Define "someone else's design."

cocobean Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 14

playingwithsugar, I HAVE also asked if I could teach their design and permission was given. Just a note, I have been decorating cakes for 7 years and would not choose a design I wasn't confidant in making.

Fairytale besides getting permission in the few cases where i have done it my website shows many pictures of my quality of work. I believe that is why people have hired me to make their cakes.

AnnieCahill, I like the idea of "Defining" someone elses designs. I guess we see that a lot on here! In that case I would definately have to make the item first and take a picture and post next. I just hate having all this cake sitting around. We would look like balloons around here if we were eating more cake than we already do. I can always give it away I suppose.

Coral3 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

Do I need to make the item myself first, take a picture of it then post on my website showing what we will be making (giving credit to the originator

Yes!! I do think that at the very least you should make the cake yourself and take your own photos if you plan to be teaching it!! Better still...create something all by yourself so that you are teaching your OWN design. I can't see why people would want to take a class with someone who uses photos of other people's work to show what they'll be teaching.

cocobean Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 14

Coral3, I really know what you are saying. I just really didn't want the extra cake around because when I do the classes I also decorate a cake along with the students to show them as I go. Then I end up with two cakes for me, looking the sam,e and deciding what to do with them.

Just really wanting to skip that part! icon_rolleyes.gif That is truely my main reasoning!

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 14

What I meant was what do you mean by someone else's design? Copying someone's exact cake or taking elements from it?

I guess it goes back to the whole thing of how can you call something "someone else's design." Most things have been done before so I don't see how it's a big deal if you teach it. But if you copy someone's exact cake down to the board I guess that's another story.

As for your extra cakes issue, are you able to use dummies? That way you can re-use them for future classes.

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

I just really didn't want the extra cake around because when I do the classes I also decorate a cake along with the students to show them as I go. Then I end up with two cakes for me, looking the sam,e and deciding what to do with them.

I strongly suggest using dummies or just consider it the cost of doing business and throwing away the finished cakes. Many teaching/class cakes aren't really made in completely food safe ways, so it's not a big loss.

As for doing other's designs---I take lots of classes. I expect original work or personal adaptations from my instructors. I can accept overlap of techniques, but not actual designs. If it's a Colette Peters' cake, I want to be taught by Colette.

JMHO
Rae

Kaykaymay Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 14

I think you need to make the cake yourself take your own pics and post them up. I also think when you recreate the design it won't be the same as the original (all artists have there own signature style I think) and that way people get a true visual of your ability. 99% our cakes came from someone elses design anyway.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 14

I am with Blakes Cakes. If I want to learn a Pink Cake Box type cake... I would want to be taught by Anne Heap, and I would be completely turned off if someone had a picture of a PCB cake on their brochures or site (even with persmission) selling classes.

Get some dummy cakes... decorate them and photograph them... then promote your own style. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 14

I think you should make your own cake, and take your own pictures. I know after a while a lot of cake designs end up looking similar, but try not to get caught in something like this. At the very least, change colors drastically.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1940887

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2051712

mplaidgirl2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 14

You can teach a technique. I wouldn't take the actual design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%