Question About Ethics...need Advice.

Business By SomethingSweetByFlo Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm by QTCakes1

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:01pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

As for my "costs", if you will go back to my first post on the subject, I believe that a coordinator often earns that 10% by acting as a mediary between the bride and myself.

If that's your experience then you would be perfectly justified in not passing along the referral fee to the customer. In my experience working with coordinators does not improve the efficiency of the transaction, which is why I wouldn't discount the quote.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:17pm
post #32 of 39

I think that what the OP is talking about and what OMGanache is talking about are completely different things though. The OP was saying that the coordinator was taking her quote and marking up the cake so that the coordinator would then keep the extra for herself.

OMGanache is saying that she pays a referral fee as a thank you to new coordinators and that it isn't something expected or marked up and that is totally different.

I have some coordinators who make my job a dream... and some who do not. For the ones I love I give them kickbacks in different ways. Discounted cakes for their own personal parties... I made the wedding cake for one and totally did it up to the 9's and didn't charge her anywhere near what it would have cost. They don't ask for this and would work with me if I didn't, but it's my way of saying thank you for our working relationships.

I hate preferred vendor lists that you have to pay to get on and I refuse to do it. You want to refer me because you love my work and think I do a wonderful job that's great, btu I'm not paying to be referred.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

As for my "costs", if you will go back to my first post on the subject, I believe that a coordinator often earns that 10% by acting as a mediary between the bride and myself.

If that's your experience then you would be perfectly justified in not passing along the referral fee to the customer. In my experience working with coordinators does not improve the efficiency of the transaction, which is why I wouldn't discount the quote.

How many coordinators have you dealt with? Were they professionals, or just friends of the bride helping plan the wedding? How many wedding cakes has your business handled?

What is your role in the ordering process vs. your wife's role?

Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what your personal experience is on which you base your advice. I looked at your website and saw mostly birthday/party cakes - and wedding coordinators don't handle those.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #34 of 39

I'd love to have your wedding coordinators ohmyganache! The ones in my area sound like Jason's. So often the bride never even tells me she has one (nor does the coordinator contact me) until the week or day of the wedding. What's the point of that?? The most I interact with planners here is cc-ing them on emails and IF the bride gets the planner before meeting with me, referrals.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:15pm
post #35 of 39

The only interaction I have with planners is to get the couple's contact information and that's it.

I don't take order changes from them, or anything of importance. I deal with the bride and groom, their names are on the contract, they pay me, the planner doesn't.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:09pm
post #36 of 39

I'm the same way cakestyles. I couldn't imagine not meeting with my wedding clients.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:38pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

The only interaction I have with planners is to get the couple's contact information and that's it.

I don't take order changes from them, or anything of importance. I deal with the bride and groom, their names are on the contract, they pay me, the planner doesn't.

That's generally been my experience as well. I've worked with about 20 or so professional wedding and event planners over the past few years (I handle all contact with the customers and planners so my wife can focus on baking and decorating) and there really isn't too much of a difference in terms of the customer face-time involved. IIRC there was only one planner who handled the entire transaction on behalf of her clients, the rest just introduced the client and got out of the way.

In addition to weddings, first birthday parties are a huge deal to people in some cultures who live in this area, and they sometimes have event planners as well.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 10:05pm
post #38 of 39

I've had planners for Quincenera's as well. They're not just "wedding" planners any longer they're "event" planners.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm
post #39 of 39

[quote="jason_kraft"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

In addition to weddings, first birthday parties are a huge deal to people in some cultures who live in this area, and they sometimes have event planners as well.

SO true. I have hired planners for the big birthdays, not 1st birthdays, but the ones we consider big in my culture. So, no, planners are not exclusive to weddings, but events in general.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%