Duff's Red Fondant

Decorating By crazydoglady Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 1:37pm by TartletteTreats

crazydoglady Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:02am
post #1 of 7

reading the new thread about the black fondant has me worried about this product..

i bought the red fondant and am wondering if it is as problematic.

i only use fondant occasionally and have always made it myself (michelle foster's recipe) so i'm really in uncharted territory.

i bought duff's because it was available at michael's and i need a bright red for my grandson's spiderman cake.

thoughts, advice anyone ?

thanks.

6 replies
Elcee Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 7

I mix my Duff's with Wilton fondant. You still get the good taste of the Duff's but with increased workability from the Wilton. I started out using 50/50 and now use 75 Duff's/25 Wilton. It dilutes the color but not by too much. You can add some food color if needed.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

I have started to make red modeling chocolate and mix a bit of fondant into it to make it work well...andbecause you use red candy melts your on your way to a nice red icon_smile.gif

look at the roof on my snoopy cake thats the red I am talking about...in my pics

Tammies_Cakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I mix my Duff's with Wilton fondant. You still get the good taste of the Duff's but with increased workability from the Wilton. I started out using 50/50 and now use 75 Duff's/25 Wilton. It dilutes the color but not by too much. You can add some food color if needed.

I do this same thing 50/50 with Wilton.
Tammie

crazydoglady Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

is it more workable because duff's is too soft ?
if so, i wonder if mixing in some tylose would help.

Nazarine Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:39am
post #6 of 7

I'm going to try mixing it with Wilton fondant. I tried the red and the black and it was super soft. It stuck to everything and was frustrating for me to work with.

TartletteTreats Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 7

In my experience it is soft and greasy and has a tendency to crack. We have had a lot of luck using it for modeling, though, just nothing too big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%