Duff's Red Fondant

Decorating By crazydoglady Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 1:37pm by TartletteTreats

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:02am
post #1 of 7

reading the new thread about the black fondant has me worried about this product..

i bought the red fondant and am wondering if it is as problematic.

i only use fondant occasionally and have always made it myself (michelle foster's recipe) so i'm really in uncharted territory.

i bought duff's because it was available at michael's and i need a bright red for my grandson's spiderman cake.

thoughts, advice anyone ?

thanks.

6 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 7

I mix my Duff's with Wilton fondant. You still get the good taste of the Duff's but with increased workability from the Wilton. I started out using 50/50 and now use 75 Duff's/25 Wilton. It dilutes the color but not by too much. You can add some food color if needed.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

I have started to make red modeling chocolate and mix a bit of fondant into it to make it work well...andbecause you use red candy melts your on your way to a nice red icon_smile.gif

look at the roof on my snoopy cake thats the red I am talking about...in my pics

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I mix my Duff's with Wilton fondant. You still get the good taste of the Duff's but with increased workability from the Wilton. I started out using 50/50 and now use 75 Duff's/25 Wilton. It dilutes the color but not by too much. You can add some food color if needed.

I do this same thing 50/50 with Wilton.
Tammie

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

is it more workable because duff's is too soft ?
if so, i wonder if mixing in some tylose would help.

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:39am
post #6 of 7

I'm going to try mixing it with Wilton fondant. I tried the red and the black and it was super soft. It stuck to everything and was frustrating for me to work with.

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 7

In my experience it is soft and greasy and has a tendency to crack. We have had a lot of luck using it for modeling, though, just nothing too big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%