Wedding Cake Help!!

Decorating By PeaceOCakeWY Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 3:51am by PeaceOCakeWY

PeaceOCakeWY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOCakeWY Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 9

A friend of mine is having me make her wedding cakes, and by cakes I mean there will be 7 different cakes all with different looks. I'm feeling very confident with all but one of the cakes. I'm not sure how to get the look of the "ribbon" on the cake because I know it is not ribbon. Any tips or ideas will be very appreciated!! The wedding isn't until Sept 17 but I would like to give this one a test run before then. The link for the picture is: http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/photo/elizabeth-messina+88922

8 replies
elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 9

(a newbie's point of view)...
Too me it might look like very thin strips of fondant with a bit of a flared edge and some silver luster dust brushed onto it the ends. Again...this isn't by any means coming from a pro, this is simply the approach I would take. HTH

PeaceOCakeWY Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 9

liz661 I thought the same thing and that was my plan but someone else told me they thought it was just bc with meringue powder added to make it a little stiff but I'm not sure I can accomplish that look with bc. Thanks for your input!

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:04am
post #4 of 9

NP icon_smile.gif I'm not sure I could accomplish the look with bc...I'm not quite there yet. Good Luck and btw, the cake is beautiful.

kimmi1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmi1963 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9

my thought would be buttercream using a tip you would use for roses. I believe maybe 104 with the small end of tip buttercream tinted bag. If that makes since. Just a thought.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:51am
post #6 of 9

My vote is with Liz. . .that's either fondant or white chocolate clay with silver or super pearl on the edges. I'm thinking fondant since the edge is slightly ruffled with a ball tool, most likely. Good luck!

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 9

My vote is for strips of fondant with the edges thinned a bit with your ball tool. (I just did something similar and it was super easy!)

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:38am
post #8 of 9

the ruffle cake is usually fondant ruffles although there are some skilled bc decorators on here who can work magic. I'm not sure that Maggie Austin "invented" the ruffle cake but she certainly is the first person you think of when you see one.

Instead of swagging the ruffle, you just build up around the cake with the ruffles pointing up. I start at the top and work down.

good luck...your friend is very fortunate to have you.

PeaceOCakeWY Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:51am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much for your help and advice and especially to southerncross!! I'm going to give it a practice run next weekend when I don't have any cake orders. Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%