Red Icing Help Asap!!!!!!

Decorating By sleepy20520 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 6:02pm by milkmaid42

sleepy20520 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 6

i am making 10 cups of red buttercream.... ive made red buttercream before & let it sit over night and it darkened from pink to red.
for some reason i let this one sit overnight after adding 3 containers of wilton "no taste" red & its still just pink.... not red. i need to finish this cake today & idk wat to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELP!

5 replies
Claire138 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 6

Is there any where you can buy Americolor? their icings are much better. I've found that their dark colours are excellent; way better than Wiltons.

hammer1 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

Will not help u this time, but next time invest in powdered red food coloring, works much better than paste. Maybe your local bakery would sell you sow red buttercream, or SAMs club, doesnt hurt toast.

OhMyGanache Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 6

If you have a Sam's Club nearby, I'd go buy some from them.

CakeMom5001 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 6

Not sure what type of icing you are making - but I always add 4oz of cream cheese to my icing to get red, black or any deep color. Maybe that will help.

milkmaid42 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 6

I also depend upon powdered food coloring for the deep colors of red or black. Then, if further tweaking is needed, I supplement with a little Americolor. I've purchased the powdered colors on-line, but am glad to know that it is available from Sam's. When my hoarded stock runs out, I'll have to make a run to St. Louis. (Can't stand the shipping costs I regularly experience with on-line purchasing!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%