Topsy Turvy Questions

Decorating By kryptonite Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm by kryptonite

kryptonite Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to do my first topsy turvy cake (buttercream with fondant accents) for my cousin's birthday, and I have a few questions...
-It's only going to be a 2 tier, and he wants the bottom tier to be cake, and the top tier to be a dummy. I'm assuming this will make things much easier than working with two tiers of cake, but are there any special rules I should follow? Do I still need to use supports?
-What recipe is best? Does the WASC recipe work with topsy turvy cakes? Has anybody made the WASC with a pound cake mix?
Thanks, everybody!!

4 replies
tiptop57 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, I have used the WASC recipe for smaller two tier Topsy Turvy cakes before, but I'd use support for the top tier because of the weight of the BC and fondant just to be safe.

On the otherhand, I have never used a pound cake with WASC.

kryptonite Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, tiptop! I was planning on making the bottom tier 12" (3 2" layers) Do you think that's too big for the WASC? Also, which WASC recipe do you use, if you don't mind my asking.

tiptop57 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 5

I use Rebecca Sutterby's recipe and have made many twelve inch 3 levels so you should be just fine. Have fun.

kryptonite Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! You advice is much appreciated, and your cakes are gorgeous icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%