Fondant+Ganache Help!

Decorating By ma_baker_30 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm by ma_baker_30

ma_baker_30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ma_baker_30 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,
I am doing my 1st fondant covered cake and I used white chocolate ganache as described and demonstrated by a few regular posters here. I even used my tri-square like Michelle's video to get straight edges. I think it worked pretty well but the surface isn't as smooth and even as in the videos I have seen. After working the cake and smoothing the ganache, the ganache began to firm up so I wasn't able to get a very smooth finish, even with the palette knife dipped in hot water.
I was a bit worried whether these imperfections and tiny divets will show up under the fondant. I have never fondanted a whole cake before...so I am asking for advice from the experienced ones here.
Will the slighly uneven surface show through the fondant? I know its hard to determine without seeing a pic...
Is there something I can do to smooth it further (can't use viva or hi density foam)?
Thanks in advance!

4 replies
ma_baker_30 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 5

I'm going to try another round of spatula + hot water.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
TIA

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 5

Unless they are just deeply un even spots or you roll your fondant really thin, they shouldn't be a problem.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 5

You can always wait until the ganache sets up and then "hot knife" it again. I use boiling water from the kettle in a really deep coffee mug and then dip it for a few minutes and then wipe off excess water and then go over the cake again. I agree with Texassugar too - the minor imperfections shouldn't show through.

ma_baker_30 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, tried the hot knife again on the firm ganache and its helped a bit...I can try again after it dries.
I'll try to roll the fondant to a decent thickness just to make sure.
Fingers crossed!
Thank you guys for your advice and reassurance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%