Fondant Cutout Swirls

Decorating By baker3 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm by baker3

baker3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker3 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 11:35am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I was just wondering how you would all go about cutting out the fondant swirls showing on this cake:

[/url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/66295133@N03/6034616093/in/photostream[url]

I don't know exactly what to use to cut them out. A pizza cutter seems too big for all the little details, and an exacto knife always leaves rigid edges when I cut round corners. Please help me.

*I just want to be clear that this is not my cake, and I'm sorry I cannot give credit to the original decorator because I a don't know who to give credit to.

Thanks for all your help![/url]

2 replies
Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 3

I wasn't able to see the picture but I find that I get the best cuts when using cutters. I know that Jennifer Dontz sells some scroll cutters that are very nice. I've bought musical notes and hearts but the scrolls are too expensive for my hobbyist budget. Maybe I'll get them for Christmas!!! Some people make their own cutters but that doesn't interest me either. I have cut fondant with my exacto knife and then gone back with a very small pair of scissors that I use only for fondant and trim them up. That's how I cut the boy and girl on a teacher retirement cake in my photos. The original pattern was a sticker which my husband scanned and increased the size for a paper pattern. Hope that helps. Have a blessed day.

baker3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker3 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 3

Ok! Thanks so much! I never even thought of using scissors, but that will probably work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%