Air Bubble Help!!!

Decorating By Pattycakes80 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 12:36pm by SteveJ

Pattycakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pattycakes80 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #1 of 2

Hi all,
I have only been cake decorating since the end of last year and every time a cake leaves my house I am paranoid for the next week if the people that have eaten my cake have got sick. I follow all food safety rules.

Today I delivered a cake that I covered in fondant last night and this morning I put the decorations on it. Over night it seemed to have got an air bubble on top, it wasn't huge and I stuck pin in and got the air out before decorating. Now Im all worried that the buttercream may have gone bad whilst having the contact with the air and my cake is going to go off or something.

Can anyone tell me if this is just silly of me to worry about or a definite concern.

Thanksicon_smile.gif

1 reply
SteveJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SteveJ Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 2

yes you are being silly! icon_lol.gif

being in contact with the air in an air bubble will not make anyone sick! and now that you've got the airbubble out the seal will be airtight again!

if you think about the ingredients when they are stored in the shop, they cannot be 100% airtight (well the butter i buy is in a foil wrapper and the sugar in a paper bag!) so even leaving it totally exposed to the air for a few hours won't cause that much of a problem (apart from it skinning over!) and so a small airbubble will do nothing.

your customers are more likely to get sick from trying to eat too much delicious cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%