Overwhelmed, But In A Good Way... Any Help Appreciated!

Business By DoniB Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 2:45am by DoniB

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I have kitchen space I can use to start my cake business. This is sooner than I'd planned on, as I'm currently in college for Entrepreneurship, then I was going to take a year-long culinary technology course for food safety certification. That was the plan, anyhow...

Instead, I went to a craft shop to see about a part time job, and when the owner found out I decorated cakes, she practically pounced on me and OFFERED me kitchen time after her cafe's hours. (I did get the part-time job in her shop, though, as well!)

To say I was floored is an understatement, but after doing some very informal market research, I learned that there are very few good decorators in the area, and even fewer baked goods catering, which I'd like to offer, as well. As I was going around town, the cousin that was with me spilled the beans, and people were literally tossing their business cards at me, asking me to let them know the moment I'm up and running, as they have all these things they organize, but are having to have delivered from an hour away, if they want something different from Walmart and the grocery stores. There is one other bakery around, but from what I have heard, they don't do that many cakes to order, though the work they do on them is superb.

I just started my Entrepreneurship program, so I am literally at the beginning of my journey... I'm taking accounting, principles of management, and intro to Entrepreneurship this semester. (I'm forty... it took awhile to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, though I've always leaned toward cake decorating... been doing it since I was 12)

The kitchen/cafe should be back up and running within a month.
So the question is this: What in the world do I do first??? Do I figure out a name? I've been researching what is needed in the way of state inspections, but it seems that the owner having it inspected will cover me, as well. Do I need a separate inspection? (I'm in NC) Is a business license in order next, or do I need to get a state tax # first???

ANY help or advice is more than welcome. I already have a few folks who have told me to keep such-and-such date open for them, for when I'm ready, and of course I have a stack of business cards already, AND a local shop that would like to see/taste my cookies, and if they approve, will sell those on a small rack on their counter.

I can't believe how quickly all this has happened, and I'm NOT dropping out of college... if anything, I'll keep part time hours at school. I'll still get that diploma, though it might take longer. But I do NOT want to lose this chance to actually DO exactly what I'm in school to do! LOL

Help! LOL

Doni

(Tentative business name: Doni's Delights Bakery)

4 replies
howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:13am
post #2 of 5

I'm afraid I don't have any advice but I do want to say congratulations! What great opportunities!

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:35am
post #3 of 5

As far as the buisness advice I can't help out there yet.. But I think fate might be telling you something.. It's awesome it fell into your lap like that

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 5

Contact your HD asap. They will tell what you need to do. You also need to go to the tax office, get a Federal tax ID number, business license, insurance... AND STAY IN SCHOOL!!! You can get all of this under your name and change it later if you want.

You are on a great path.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:45am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelleyes

As far as the buisness advice I can't help out there yet.. But I think fate might be telling you something.. It's awesome it fell into your lap like that

Angeleyes, that's exactly what I've been thinking. I mean, I go in for a crafting job and walk out with a kitchen! It's amazing how many different things within the past 5 days have been pointing me this direction. It's like the universe is trying to tell me in unmistakable signs, that I need to do this, and now.

As a matter of fact, after all the different folks who want to use me once I'm up and running, I came home to relax and play some facebook games... and wouldn't you know it? That was the day that there was a new mission on Frontierville... to help a baker get back on her feet!!!!! REALLY??? I mean... that just kinda clinched it for me. LOL

My brother just graduated college with a business degree, so he's going to help me figure it all out. He's not working yet, so it's a good 'consultation' job for him. icon_smile.gif I will reward him with baked goodies, and he will adore me, as any baby bro should adore his much-older sister. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%