Matcha Powder

Baking By rissadragons Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm by scp1127

rissadragons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rissadragons Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know of any local stores to purchase matcha powder from?

10 replies
fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:46am
post #2 of 11

I do not know where you are located but you can try health food stores and asian markets. I would start with the markets because the health food stores are usually expensive. If you have some time you could always order online.

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:54am
post #3 of 11

You can buy it at Whole Foods

rissadragons Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 11

It's for a last minute cupcake order and they really want a green tea cupcake. I'm in the Virginia Beach area.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:26am
post #5 of 11

When do you need it by? You might have a hard time finding it locally. I have a big bag. I'd send you some if you don't need it ASAP.

rissadragons Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #6 of 11

That's a very nice gesture! Unfortunately I need it for Saturday....Hopefully I can find it locally!

getonthemove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getonthemove Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:11am
post #7 of 11

According to the tea guide, there are two tea rooms in Virginia Beach and they both supposedly carry loose leaf tea. I would try them. I am not from that area, so have no idea if they actually carry it. The English Tea Rose Room has a website, but I didn't see a listing of the teas they carry. The other tea room is Quintin's Tea Emporium.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Just thought of something, if you can't find matcha, you could always take another green tea and finely grind it in a spice grinder and try that.

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:53am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissadragons

It's for a last minute cupcake order and they really want a green tea cupcake. I'm in the Virginia Beach area.

Google search "Virginia beach asian market" There are quite a few listed you can even try calling ahead.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:53am
post #9 of 11

I've been wanting to experiment with it but our Whole Foods hasn't had it.

Can anyone give some info on taste?

getonthemove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getonthemove Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:22am
post #10 of 11

The flavor of matcha really depends on how fresh it is. It looses flavor rather quickly if not stored properly, but think vegetal, kinda like spinach but with creamy notes. If the matcha is of a poor quality it can be very bitter. Look for matcha that is a deep green, not yellow-green for the best flavors and freshness. Green teas tend to be either vegetal or marine in flavor, depending on the initial fixation stage.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 11

geton, thanks for the info. Because it is hard to find in my area, chances of getting fresh sound tough. I will wait until I'm in Annapolis again and look for a specialty shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%