How Do I Drop This Lady Like A Bad Habit?

Business By JoanieB Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 2:08pm by CiNoRi

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:31am
post #31 of 36

Okay, so here's what I did. I told the truth...via email cause I'm a coward...I did lie about why I wouldn't answer her phone calls yesterday though LOL. Basically I told her that if she still needed the cake she could bring me the money and sign the contract NLT 6pm today. That without those I cannot save her date. I stated I do NOT pick up money or bring contracts that her FREE consultation was done as a courtesy to my acquaintance but I would come to her for a $25 pick up fee. Knowing how cheap she is that probably won't happen LOL.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:13pm
post #32 of 36

Sounds like you got in touch with her, but in the future don't be afraid to say "no." Or, if you have time to go pick up a deposit (which for a $125 cake should have really been a payment in full, a deposit on less than $200 makes no sense) you could tell her "sure, I'll pick up the payment, but I charge $30 an hour for my time. That will be added to the total due."

People will push you as far as you will let them.

JoanieB Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:29pm
post #33 of 36

Costumeczar,
Yeah, the small amount of the deposit is super annoying. I think I'll do like you say, full payment on orders under $200, cause this is just time consuming and annoying. I'm tired of these small cakes. I really do need to start setting the bar a little higher on these people. Like you said they will push me as far as I let them. icon_wink.gif

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm
post #34 of 36

JoanieB: I am so sorry that this has happen to you. Based upon my personality, I probably would have been in the same situation. I am so glad that we have a cakecentral family to receive the help we otherwise could have not received.

Ok let me first state that I am not and do not run a business. It is a dream of mine to do so. I only bake for my family. But I do alot of reading in the forums to learn about what to do for when my season comes to open a business. My question is with the sketches part of the ordeal, how is that handle? Like do you rather send the sketches via email with it watermarked with your business name on it? Is it given after the money is received? In this particular situation, wouldn't the individual had received the sketches anyway? I hope this was okay to ask. Just learning as I go.

JoanieB Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:43pm
post #35 of 36

I usually just do sketches for my own personal use. She's the first one to ever ask for it and I just emailed it to her, no watermark or anything. From what some of the other folks were saying this is a no no LOL. I think if someone were to ask me again I would only offer it after a deposit/payment has been received and send it with a watermark. I really don't know any other way to handle it other than NO!! LOL icon_lol.gif Any advice from others would be appreciated, guess we're both learning icon_wink.gif

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:08pm
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanieB

I usually just do sketches for my own personal use. She's the first one to ever ask for it and I just emailed it to her, no watermark or anything. From what some of the other folks were saying this is a no no LOL. I think if someone were to ask me again I would only offer it after a deposit/payment has been received and send it with a watermark. I really don't know any other way to handle it other than NO!! LOL icon_lol.gif Any advice from others would be appreciated, guess we're both learning icon_wink.gif

Turning over a sketch after the deposit is paid is doable, Just make sure that deposit is nonrefundable and at least 50% of the total icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%