Reassurance--First Tiered/transported Cake!

Decorating By BeeSweetBakeshoppe Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 9:30pm by CWR41

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 3

Hey friends,

y'all have been super helpful over the last couple weeks as I prepare to make the cake for my in-laws' 40th anniversary. Here is the scoop: 3-tiered cake (12", 9", 6" rounds). Going to fill/crumb coat with ganache, then drape in white fondant, and decorate with pink and yellow flowers (their wedding colors). So I am just trying to get my time-line down and plan out my week:

Baking cakes: I can do this now, then freeze cakes singly, wrapped in saran wrap/tin foil. When ready to assemble, thaw in wrapping, add ganache, then chill in fridge.

Make Ganache: How far in advance can I do this? And also, any tips for flavored, white ganache? Cake is white, but I hate white chocolate ganache, it's so sweet! Any tips for a different flavor? Store in fridge until ready to use?

Make Fondant: I'm using MMF. I can make this how far ahead? A week? A few days? I've gotten mixed tips on storing, whether on counter, fridge, or freezer. What should I do?

Assemble: Thaw cakes, fill with ganache, chill in fridge and let settle. Pull out, crumb coat with ganache, put back in fridge...right? So 2 days before lift-off?

Fondant: Apply 1 day before. After this, no more storing in fridge....just keep on my counter? In Dallas now, and house doesn't get cooler than ~73 right now. Will it be OK?

Flowers: How far in advance can I make and dry the flowers? How to store them so they don't crack? And best tips for applying them? Usually I just use a little clear vodka, but wasn't sure with transporting. Should I wait to put flowers on until after the drive to houston?

Travelling: I've been told to put my dowels in before I transport it, but to transport the tiers separately (I don't have SPS), in separate cake boxes. Best bet to lay a non-stick matt down, and put each tier in its own cake box?

....I'm sorry! This is so much. I know I can do it but I'm just nervous. Also, I have 3" cake pans...better to make each tier 2 layers 2" each, or 3 layers at 1"? Opinions requested here.

I'm so excited! This is my first big tiered cake. I've been making/decorating cakes for years now but am only just getting into the world of fondant. At least I will be surrounded by family and friends...and can always pick something up at Costco if something falls through haha

2 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeSweetBakeshoppe

Hey friends,

y'all have been super helpful over the last couple weeks as I prepare to make the cake for my in-laws' 40th anniversary. Here is the scoop: 3-tiered cake (12", 9", 6" rounds). Going to fill/crumb coat with ganache, then drape in white fondant, and decorate with pink and yellow flowers (their wedding colors). So I am just trying to get my time-line down and plan out my week:

Baking cakes: I can do this now, then freeze cakes singly, wrapped in saran wrap/tin foil. When ready to assemble, thaw in wrapping, add ganache, then chill in fridge.

Yes, that sounds fine. I don't freeze cakes but many here do.

Make Ganache: How far in advance can I do this? And also, any tips for flavored, white ganache? Cake is white, but I hate white chocolate ganache, it's so sweet! Any tips for a different flavor? Store in fridge until ready to use?

Ganache can be made a few days in advance...I'm not sure I'd add flavoring to it, just use a high quality white chocolate and it'll be fine.

Make Fondant: I'm using MMF. I can make this how far ahead? A week? A few days? I've gotten mixed tips on storing, whether on counter, fridge, or freezer. What should I do?

I use MMF as well. It can be made weeks in advance. I store mine very well wrapped in shortening covered plastic wrap than in an air tight container right on my counter. (ingredients in mine are marshmallows, ps, water, a little shortening and flavorings)

Assemble: Thaw cakes, fill with ganache, chill in fridge and let settle. Pull out, crumb coat with ganache, put back in fridge...right? So 2 days before lift-off?

Sure, sounds fine.

Fondant: Apply 1 day before. After this, no more storing in fridge....just keep on my counter? In Dallas now, and house doesn't get cooler than ~73 right now. Will it be OK?

That's about the temp we keep our house at, they'll be fine.

Flowers: How far in advance can I make and dry the flowers? How to store them so they don't crack? And best tips for applying them? Usually I just use a little clear vodka, but wasn't sure with transporting. Should I wait to put flowers on until after the drive to houston?

You can make them weeks in advance. Store them in a safe place (I use a lit curio cabinet so the light actually helps them dry) and out of direct sunlight. I would place flowers on at the venue.

Travelling: I've been told to put my dowels in before I transport it, but to transport the tiers separately (I don't have SPS), in separate cake boxes. Best bet to lay a non-stick matt down, and put each tier in its own cake box?

Yes!

....I'm sorry! This is so much. I know I can do it but I'm just nervous. Also, I have 3" cake pans...better to make each tier 2 layers 2" each, or 3 layers at 1"? Opinions requested here.

I bake 2" layers and torte them, it just depends on your preference.

I'm so excited! This is my first big tiered cake. I've been making/decorating cakes for years now but am only just getting into the world of fondant. At least I will be surrounded by family and friends...and can always pick something up at Costco if something falls through haha

Good luck and have fun!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeSweetBakeshoppe

Also, I have 3" cake pans...better to make each tier 2 layers 2" each, or 3 layers at 1"? Opinions requested here.

I've been making/decorating cakes for years now...

The way I'm reading this is that you're asking if your tiers should be 4" tall or 3" tall.

I think 3" tall tiers look too short and squatty and 4" is typically standard. You may be able to get away with a 3" tall 6" top tier... larger diameter cakes look more proportional when taller than 3".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%