Reassurance--First Tiered/transported Cake!

Decorating By BeeSweetBakeshoppe Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 9:30pm by CWR41

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 3

Hey friends,

y'all have been super helpful over the last couple weeks as I prepare to make the cake for my in-laws' 40th anniversary. Here is the scoop: 3-tiered cake (12", 9", 6" rounds). Going to fill/crumb coat with ganache, then drape in white fondant, and decorate with pink and yellow flowers (their wedding colors). So I am just trying to get my time-line down and plan out my week:

Baking cakes: I can do this now, then freeze cakes singly, wrapped in saran wrap/tin foil. When ready to assemble, thaw in wrapping, add ganache, then chill in fridge.

Make Ganache: How far in advance can I do this? And also, any tips for flavored, white ganache? Cake is white, but I hate white chocolate ganache, it's so sweet! Any tips for a different flavor? Store in fridge until ready to use?

Make Fondant: I'm using MMF. I can make this how far ahead? A week? A few days? I've gotten mixed tips on storing, whether on counter, fridge, or freezer. What should I do?

Assemble: Thaw cakes, fill with ganache, chill in fridge and let settle. Pull out, crumb coat with ganache, put back in fridge...right? So 2 days before lift-off?

Fondant: Apply 1 day before. After this, no more storing in fridge....just keep on my counter? In Dallas now, and house doesn't get cooler than ~73 right now. Will it be OK?

Flowers: How far in advance can I make and dry the flowers? How to store them so they don't crack? And best tips for applying them? Usually I just use a little clear vodka, but wasn't sure with transporting. Should I wait to put flowers on until after the drive to houston?

Travelling: I've been told to put my dowels in before I transport it, but to transport the tiers separately (I don't have SPS), in separate cake boxes. Best bet to lay a non-stick matt down, and put each tier in its own cake box?

....I'm sorry! This is so much. I know I can do it but I'm just nervous. Also, I have 3" cake pans...better to make each tier 2 layers 2" each, or 3 layers at 1"? Opinions requested here.

I'm so excited! This is my first big tiered cake. I've been making/decorating cakes for years now but am only just getting into the world of fondant. At least I will be surrounded by family and friends...and can always pick something up at Costco if something falls through haha

2 replies
cakestyles Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeSweetBakeshoppe

Hey friends,

y'all have been super helpful over the last couple weeks as I prepare to make the cake for my in-laws' 40th anniversary. Here is the scoop: 3-tiered cake (12", 9", 6" rounds). Going to fill/crumb coat with ganache, then drape in white fondant, and decorate with pink and yellow flowers (their wedding colors). So I am just trying to get my time-line down and plan out my week:

Baking cakes: I can do this now, then freeze cakes singly, wrapped in saran wrap/tin foil. When ready to assemble, thaw in wrapping, add ganache, then chill in fridge.

Yes, that sounds fine. I don't freeze cakes but many here do.

Make Ganache: How far in advance can I do this? And also, any tips for flavored, white ganache? Cake is white, but I hate white chocolate ganache, it's so sweet! Any tips for a different flavor? Store in fridge until ready to use?

Ganache can be made a few days in advance...I'm not sure I'd add flavoring to it, just use a high quality white chocolate and it'll be fine.

Make Fondant: I'm using MMF. I can make this how far ahead? A week? A few days? I've gotten mixed tips on storing, whether on counter, fridge, or freezer. What should I do?

I use MMF as well. It can be made weeks in advance. I store mine very well wrapped in shortening covered plastic wrap than in an air tight container right on my counter. (ingredients in mine are marshmallows, ps, water, a little shortening and flavorings)

Assemble: Thaw cakes, fill with ganache, chill in fridge and let settle. Pull out, crumb coat with ganache, put back in fridge...right? So 2 days before lift-off?

Sure, sounds fine.

Fondant: Apply 1 day before. After this, no more storing in fridge....just keep on my counter? In Dallas now, and house doesn't get cooler than ~73 right now. Will it be OK?

That's about the temp we keep our house at, they'll be fine.

Flowers: How far in advance can I make and dry the flowers? How to store them so they don't crack? And best tips for applying them? Usually I just use a little clear vodka, but wasn't sure with transporting. Should I wait to put flowers on until after the drive to houston?

You can make them weeks in advance. Store them in a safe place (I use a lit curio cabinet so the light actually helps them dry) and out of direct sunlight. I would place flowers on at the venue.

Travelling: I've been told to put my dowels in before I transport it, but to transport the tiers separately (I don't have SPS), in separate cake boxes. Best bet to lay a non-stick matt down, and put each tier in its own cake box?

Yes!

....I'm sorry! This is so much. I know I can do it but I'm just nervous. Also, I have 3" cake pans...better to make each tier 2 layers 2" each, or 3 layers at 1"? Opinions requested here.

I bake 2" layers and torte them, it just depends on your preference.

I'm so excited! This is my first big tiered cake. I've been making/decorating cakes for years now but am only just getting into the world of fondant. At least I will be surrounded by family and friends...and can always pick something up at Costco if something falls through haha

Good luck and have fun!

CWR41 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeSweetBakeshoppe

Also, I have 3" cake pans...better to make each tier 2 layers 2" each, or 3 layers at 1"? Opinions requested here.

I've been making/decorating cakes for years now...

The way I'm reading this is that you're asking if your tiers should be 4" tall or 3" tall.

I think 3" tall tiers look too short and squatty and 4" is typically standard. You may be able to get away with a 3" tall 6" top tier... larger diameter cakes look more proportional when taller than 3".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%