post #1 of 4

I made a batch of Rolled fondant using this recipe:
1/2 oz gelatin
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup glucose
3/4 oz glycerin
2 lbs confectioners sugar
1tsp vanilla

The fondant came out pretty good. I tried to color it a dark brown so added cocoa powder and then added little bit of black americolor gel and brown powder color. Now the fondant is very soft but at the same time just crumbles. there is absolutely no stretch to it. I have kneaded it and added more shortening. I have added glycerin. then I added few drops of water it still doesn't work. Why does this fondant behaving like this!! Do you think maybe shortening could have caused this? I have included a link to a video so you can see how it looks:

3 replies
katj012 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 4

A few questions...

1) did you let the fondant sit for a while before trying to use it?

2) did you add the cocoa powder to the recipe on top of the c. sugar, or did you replace some of the c.sugar with cocoa?

3) did you at the cocoa powder after the fondant was completely done, or while you were making it?

Charmed Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 4

katj012,
I let the fondant sit for 24 hours. I added the cocoa powder after the fondant was done the next day. Do you think that is the problem? Maybe I should have replaced some of the sugar with the cocoa pwd......

katj012 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah - that's what I'm thinking. I did a quick google search and it seems that cocoa powder is notorious for drying out fondant. People recommend using melted chocolate or candy melts instead...

My guess is to stay away from cocoa powder in the future - I can't see any problems with the recipe besides that, and shortening definitely wouldn't make that happen, unless maybe you added an entire brick of Crisco!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%