Swiss Buttercream And Simple Buttercream?

Baking By teamflint Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 1:04am by imagenthatnj

teamflint Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 8

can i use swiss buttercream as a filling for a 3 layer white cake and simple (american) buttercream to frost and decorate? is this a strange combination?

my customer wants to keep the cake all vanilla (frosting and filling) - no jam/custard/anything - but i'm afraid the american buttercream as filling and frosting will be too sweet. so i thought to fill with swiss buttercream - but don't know what the combination will taste like.

any suggestions?

7 replies
sweetie78 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 8

Why not just fill and deco with SMBC? I prefer the taste and look of SMBC, but sometimes I'll do a simple cream cheese frosting for the filling on red velvet and ice the outside with SMBC.

teamflint Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 8

will the SMBC crust like the simple buttercream? i think i would like the taste of the SMBC but i'm worried with the heat (98F +) and humidity that it won't hold my decorations. i'm definitely open to trying it though!

maybe i can just keep it refrigerated...

sweetie78 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 8

SMBC doesn't crust, but it will get hard in the fridge or a quick trip to the freezer. As long as the cake won't be outside, you should be ok if you keep it in the fridge until a little while before. SMBC is best at room temp (IMHO), so it will need some time outside of the fridge anyways. Also, make sure you have your AC on when you make it. If it gets too warm, you can pop it in the fridge and re-whip after it gets cool.

imagenthatnj Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 8

SMBC and IMBC don't crust. I am not sure how far the customer is traveling with it or if they'll be able to keep it in the freezer/fridge before the party.

At the end of this post, there's some thoughts on how to keep it cold, but I don't think Angela had that bad of a weather, though, but she's got some pointers there.

teamflint Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

thank you to both of you for your suggestions. i don't have to go far (5 miles) and there is a fridge there for storage so i think i'll be good with the SMBC. always scary trying something new!

zinger60 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 8

Does SMBC have to stay refrigerated? I am going to be making a cake for a couple and they want a frosting that is not sweet at all. I thought SMBC would be perfect to use but they want the cake fondant covered and I don't want to put the cake in the fridge with the fondant on it since I don't want it to sweat when it is taken out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%