Separating Two-Tiered Wedding Cake Question....

Decorating By Cheesetastic Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 2:30am by ShandraB

Cheesetastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheesetastic Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a wedding cake for a friend that is two square layered cakes on top of eachother -- one 10" and one 14". There are no columns/stands separating the tiers...just one right on top of the other. My question is do I need a board of some kind between the layers or should they just be cake on cake?

Hope that makes sense.....icon_smile.gif

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, each layer cake (tier) on its own board AND a support system for the base cake. General rule is to use supports for every 4" of cake height. Also, it's easier to serve when the knife knows where to stop.

Cheesetastic Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 9

So if I have approximately three to four cakes stacked high to make the 10" tier, should I have any boards in between THOSE layers?

CWR41 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesetastic

So if I have approximately three to four cakes stacked high to make the 10" tier, should I have any boards in between THOSE layers?

Yes, for every 4" of cake height.

If those three or four cakes are 2" tall apiece your cake would be 6 or 8 inches tall... definitely use a support system in the middle of the 8 inch tall cake at 4", and it wouldn't hurt to do the same in the middle of a 6 inch tall cake at 3" if possible.

Cheesetastic Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:42am
post #5 of 9

Perfect. I will follow the "every 4" put a board" rule of thumb..... Therefore:

The cake is planning to be a 14" four-layer square bottom (total of probably 8+ inches in height), with a 10" four-layer square top tier (again, 8+ inches in height). For ease of cutting, I was going to put a board after each TWO LAYERS, as well as between each tier (hope that makes sense).

1. How would I do the dowels for the bottom with these boards separating every two layers? Each dowel through all four layers AND the board dividing that tier into two sections?

2. Do I dowel the top tier?? (same thing -- four layers, board after every two)

Thanks for any help -- in advance icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:54am
post #6 of 9
Quote:

1. ...Each dowel through all four layers AND the board dividing that tier into two sections?

2. Do I dowel the top tier?? (same thing -- four layers, board after every two)

1. No... base board, two 2" layers with 4" dowels, board, another two 2" layers with 4" dowels.

2. In this case, since your top tier is 8" tall, you'll use dowels in the bottom two 2" layers but the top two 2" layers don't need support.

It's a good idea to use a center dowel through all whether you're transporting it or not since they are extra tall tiers. Also, you might consider using a few bamboo skewers in the top half of the top tier to help secure those top 4" of cake to the lower 4" of cake. Hope this makes sense.

Cheesetastic Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:08am
post #7 of 9

Thank you so much CWR41. Huge help!

I did think about the one dowel rod through the whole thing but came back to the conundrum about getting it through the all the boards. I guess in that case I have to pre-drill a whole through the center of each before starting....?

CWR41 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:19am
post #8 of 9
Quote:

I guess in that case I have to pre-drill a whole through the center of each before starting....?

Not if you're using cardboard cake boards... just hammer it through.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:30am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

I guess in that case I have to pre-drill a whole through the center of each before starting....?

Not if you're using cardboard cake boards... just hammer it through.

Sharpen the end of your dowel and it will help you to punch it through the cake circles. This works especially well if your cake board is make of foam, it will punch down into it instead of sitting on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%