Chocolate Coloring Question....

Decorating By LASouthernSugar Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm by TexasSugar

LASouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LASouthernSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 7

I have white almond bark chocolate I would like to color. Can I use the Wilton colors I use to color my BC or will that not work?

6 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,
I heard you use food colouring powders for chocolate, because liquid colours and pastes add too much water to chocolate.

hope this helps. birthday.gif

sweetie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie78 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 7

Are you coloring melted chocolate? Is the melted chocolate in your buttercream? If you have a butter based BC (SMBC), you can use candy colors because they're oil based. Using the regular Wilton colors might make your BC grainy or sieze the chocolate if you're only adding it to that.
HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 7

You want oil based colors. The colors you use in buttercream are water based and can cause the chocolate to seize. If you are making a very light color you may be able to get away with it, but dark colors really need oil based colors.

LASouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LASouthernSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 7

Where can I get oil based color from? Or should I say can I get it at hobby lobbby, michaels, walmart, etc?

sweetie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie78 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 7

You can get it at Michael's. Not sure about the other places. Check online too, if you don't need it right away. Never shop at Michael's without their 40% off coupon! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 7

Wilton does have some at Michaels, look in the aisle with the candy stuff. They have two different sets with 4 colors. One is Primary colors the other is garden colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%