How Much Would You Charge For 100 Of These?

Decorating By littleshopofcakes Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 9:26pm by littleshopofcakes

littleshopofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleshopofcakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 16

Hi, I have a customer looking for a quote on 100 mini fondant coloured cakes (black and white in colour). Does anyone know what the price range for these might be? They are going the take a lot of time but still need to be affordable. Such a tough quote, any suggestions or thoughts you have that you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated.

https://webmail.shaw.ca/attach/powerhouse_wedding_cake.jpg?sid=&mbox=INBOX&charset=escaped_unicode&uid=9985&number=4&filename=powerhouse_wedding_cake.jpg

Arlene.

15 replies
idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 16

link not working|

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 16

Okay, small and cute is NEVER affordable. If they want small and cute and affordable suggest cupcakes...and even those will average $4-5. So a mini cake usually starts at $10 and go as high as $25. The link you gave for the cakes is not working, so I can't tell you what I would charge for those. Trust me when I say to do cheap will be you hating the order and losing money.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 16

The last time I did mini cakes, and this was at least 4 years ago, I got $16 each. Small = expensive.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 16

Small is a nightmare. You probably can't/won't charge enough.

These are items for the "price is no issue" crowd. They are not affordable.

littleshopofcakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks for your help. I have tried to post a picture but I cannot get it to work. Too bad you can't see them, they really are cute . I have reposted the link and it works on my end icon_sad.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 16

The link is to an image stored on your own personal email account, which is why it only works for you. You can upload your picture on Tinypic and generate a publicly-available address.

http://tinypic.com/

littleshopofcakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks,
let's try this again...

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 16

I personally was thinking you meant miniture stacked wedding cakes. These are more the size of a cupcake albeit with more work in the decoration than a cupcake. The designs on the ones in your photo don't seem that elaborate so I would probably charge in the $6-$8 range for each depending on the cake type and filling. These, I think, are usually filled, crumb coated and covered in fondant.

jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 16

How long do you think it will take to make each one?

littleshopofcakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 16

I think they would take 8-10 min decorating time ea. not including the baking and cutting. I think I would make 5 different designs and then be able to do it production line style.

jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleshopofcakes

I think they would take 8-10 min decorating time ea. not including the baking and cutting. I think I would make 5 different designs and then be able to do it production line style.

We'd probably charge about $9.50 each ($6 each if we were allowed to legally sell food made from home).

Edit: This is assuming 12 mins of labor each.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 16

I've made some before and I think 8-10 min decorating time is pretty optimistic.

I would charge enough not to have to do them.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 16

Those are really cute and those are $12, no less. And decorating may only take you 8-10 mins, but I'm not counting covering in actual fondant. Have you ever covered a 4" cake? For some reason it is a true b*tch. I'ld much rather cover a 16" cake then a 4" cake any day. I'm sure those are smaller and a little more PIA.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleshopofcakes

They are going the take a lot of time but still need to be affordable.

Says who? The client?

It's funny how some people equate small to being affordable.

I wouldn't offer those for any less than $12 - $15 each...I guarantee you that they will take longer than 10 min each. They look about 2", which means they will be very difficult to cover.

If she's looking for affordable maybe you can offer her cupcakes, they'd be a lot quicker/easier.

littleshopofcakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:26pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you!
I am the one who assumed that they had to be affordable. You probably know as well as I do that when she receives my quote (I quoted $800) she will think I am crazy. If I am lucky, maybe she won't reply.

I really appreciate all of the replies, it has helped a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%