Royal Icing

Baking By Mandyjb74 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 1:56am by elizaBakes

Mandyjb74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandyjb74 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 6

I've never used royal icing before apart from as something to stick decorations onto cakes at some decorating classes. I would like to use it to decorate the top of a cake but the picture I had in mind has lots of different colours my question being can I make a large amount of icing and colour it as and when or will it go hard if I leave it too long? If it starts to get a crust can I beat it back? If not can someone advise me on the best way to do this
Many thanks

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
I normally use royal icing on christmas cakes, its not like buttercream, which can be re-softened, when it dries out it dries out, but I do know of a way to make it so it doesn't dry so hard.

If you add a little glycerine to the mixture it dries a lot softer. (easier to eat icon_lol.gif )

If you're not used to using royal icing you could do little test cakes or work in seperate batches for each colour?

hope this helps, good luck! thumbs_up.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 6

keep it in an air tight container ... sometimes i put it in ziplock bags or just leave it in the piping bag tightened up with rubber bands. it will only get hard if it comes into contact with air. if you're going to leave it in your mixer for a few minutes, cover the bowl with a damp towel.

Mandyjb74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandyjb74 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both I might just do it a bit at a time and see how it goes

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:54am
post #5 of 6

You might already have your answer but yes, all you need to do is keep your RI covered at all times..conact with air is what makes it harden. You can color your icing as you go, as needed. What you can do is keep the colored RI in your pipping bags tightly wrapped at the end and keep under a damp towel. This way it doesnt harden and clog your tips. Also make sure ALL your utinesals (including bags & tips) are rinsed in viniger..and oil residue will ruin the icing, HTH

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:56am
post #6 of 6

*oops i ment any :/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%