Base Cake Design For Owl?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 6:31pm by jennifercullen

jennifercullen Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for someone for a 40th birthday. They specified an owl, like the one I've already done but like a barn owl. This I am well on the way with, the cake is for Saturday. I also made an 11" 5" tall round cake for the base cake intending to decorate it like a tree stump for the owl to sit on, but now I'm not sure whether to do that or do something a little more fun, not with a nature theme just like plain icing with a pattern on or something or dots or stripes or something like that. I already have brown icing that I bought ready coloured but it is chocolate flavoured. If you have any ideas please tell me as I'm not sure where to go with this!

3 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 4

First I wanted to ask you, is the barn owl realistic looking or cartoony looking?

JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 4

What I was going to say was if the owl is realsitic looking, it would look better on the tree stump idea you had, because if the owl looks real and its sitting on a cake covered in brightly coloured stars it would look a bit mis matched, but if the owl look cartoony it would look great on a tree strump or on a fun looking cake with stars or flowers or something.

hope this helps, good luck birthday.gif

jennifercullen Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 4

I was kinda going for somewhere in-between lol. I didn't want it to be cartoony, but I'm not so good to get it looking really realistic. I think I'll go for the stump! Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%