Dowel Rods

Decorating By mommy2owen Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 12:14am by MarianInFL

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 9

I usually use the Wilton 1/4 inch dowel rods, but the other day, I found 3/16 inch dowel rods on clearance and bought a few packages. Can I use them for cakes, or are they too small to do the job? Specifically, I'm stacking a 5 inch tall 8 inch round on a 5 inch tall 10 inch round. Thanks!

8 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 9

just a few more than u normally would and you should be fine

sweetie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie78 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 9

Hi,

Have you ever seen/heard of bubble tea straws? Most Asian grocery stores carry them, and they're so much easier to measure and cut, and they cover a larger area than the dowel rods. I use them to stack, then put a final wooden dowel through the top tier to stabilize. You can also purchase the straws online.

mommy2owen Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks, that's what I'll do. I have heard of the tea straws and I've wanted to use them, I've just been unsure about how supportive they are. Do you use them for even large cakes? Do you put about the same amount as you would dowel rods? I really hate trying to cut wooden dowel rods and get them all even and not have any little wooden splitters. icon_rolleyes.gif

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 9

Edna from Design Me a Cake uses cardboard dowels. Does anyone know where I can purchase those?

sweetie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie78 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 9

I do use them for larger cakes. I think the general rule is 2 less than the actual inch size of the cake (so 10 in. cake would get 8 straws or dowels)? You don't want to put too many in.

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 9

Donnawb...I actually recently used lollipop sticks (cardboard) they worked great and so easy to cut. They were the wilton brand and made my stacking very stable. ( 1/2 sheet bottom, 12" round, 10"round 8" top).

mommy2owen... I agree just use a few more than generally used and it should be fine icon_smile.gif

mommy2owen Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone. I feel better about using my smaller dowel rods now, and I'm definitely going to give straws a try! icon_smile.gif

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:14am
post #9 of 9

I use chopsticks. Free with Chinese take-out and easy to cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%