Decorating Stencils

Decorating By Cooksie Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 9:40pm by FromScratchSF

Cooksie Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:52am
post #1 of 6

Hello Everyone.

How do I make my own stencils for decorating cakes? Is there a special type of paper I have to use?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
icon_smile.gif

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
I did a bit of research and found that people use "acetate" sheets to make stencils. You can get it from art & craft stores mainly.

Theres a Uk shop and website that sells it -
http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/search/acetate

Or if you have a local craft shop and ask if they sell acetate sheets?

Hope this helps, Good Luck! birthday.gif

Cooksie Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 6

Hi JamAndButtercream

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I thought about using acetate but wondered whether it was safe to use on edible icing.
Will let you know as well what I find out. Might give it a try.

Take care.

FromScratchSF Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 6

There is a tool and sheets specifically designed to make stencils for cake using food grade mylar. I would post the link but that site will be blocked by CC. BUT, if you take the word sugar and put it with the word craft, add a www to the beginning and a dot com at the end you will get to the website. I don't know why they don't sell the same tool at Global Sugar. I have one on order because I have a request for a custom design, I hope it works well!

Jen

littlestruedel Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 6

I bought stencil paper (it's a flexible plastic) from Michaels and used a pencil to trace the design and my exacto knife to cut out the design (it is the damask cake and cupcake tower in my pics). In all honesty I didn't even consider that it wasn't food grade plastic? It was only in contact with the cake for about 30 seconds.

FromScratchSF Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 6

People use non NSF stuff in their kitchens all the time, but I think its something you can get dinged for by your local HD. There is also a difference between stuff being meant for home preparation and stuff that is approved for commercial food preparation - Example, Cricut Cake... made and marketed for CAKE. But I have heard people getting warnings/fines from their HD because it's not NSF, therefore not appropriate for commercial use so they had to stop using them for their cake businesses.

I have used stencil sheets for painting so I know what you are talking about, but I would not want to use that for a cake, they're not very bendy. Manufactured cake stencils are bendy yet rigid enough to get a clean edge.

But looks like you worked it out OK!

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%