Commercial Convection Oven

Business By blisscupcakesdallasdotcom Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 3:07pm by MimiFix

blisscupcakesdallasdotcom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blisscupcakesdallasdotcom Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:04am
post #1 of 4

Hello! I'm trying to decide if I can get away with only 1 convection oven vs a double convection oven ONLY because I would have to add an electrical outlet and the expense. With that I haven't baked in a convection commercial oven before anyone have experience with and know how many cupcake pans can fit in the oven at a time without causing harm like in a normal oven??

3 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 4

it will depend on the size oven you get. Some people can get away with a 4 pan Deluxe oven because it really holds a lot of regular cake pans.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 4

I do not care to bake in a commercial convection oven because they have so many temperature issues...the cakes are not reliable...I prefer the 'old fashioned' way. The commercial ovens where I bake are always on the blink...great for catering regular foods, but too fickle for delicate cakes and pastries.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 4

What kind of volume do you have? That would certainly help with your decision... Convection ovens are not ideal for many types of baked goods, but if that's all you have it can be made to work. If the oven has a fan shut-off, use it when baking more delicate cakes and pastries. Otherwise, set the fan on low and drop the temperature to 325 F (or less).

I once worked in a Hyatt kitchen with ancient equipment. The gas range ovens would no longer light but there was a double stack convection oven. One day the top convection oven exploded. The line cook had just walked away, lucky guy. Then we all had to share the one remaining convection oven which had no markings on the temperature control knob. I had to watch the line cooks or they would turn the temp knob all the way up whenever they needed to roast meats. The first time it happened my cakes burned. I would have started posting a sign "cakes in the oven" but none of them could read.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%