What Is This Icing Technique And How Do I Do It?

Decorating By ajk265 Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm by TinkerCakes

ajk265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajk265 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 6

My grandparents are having a rededication ceremony for their 50th anniversary, and it has fallen upon me to make the cake. For their 25th anniversary, they had a replica of their wedding cake made, and now I want to do the same.

However, all I have to work from is a not-so-detailed photograph that was scanned in. I have a handle on most of the cake I believe.

I'm trying to figure out the sides. They have some type of drapes, but I don't know how that would be done. Is this some sort of standard decorating technique? What is it called?

Thanks for any guidance that can be provided! I attached the photo to the message.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

Standard Wilton technique from "back in the day." Mark with the swag marker and wiggle the tip (round or star) up and down to pipe on the swag. Not much pressure at the ends, more pressure at the bottom of the swag. Practice on a piece of paper and you'll get the hang of it in about half a minute.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 6

It looks like the swags on the side are done with the 104 rose tip. Put the skinny end toward the cake, then squeeze and jiggle at the same time moving in an half circle position. I hope that made sense! icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk265

I'm trying to figure out the sides. They have some type of drapes, but I don't know how that would be done. Is this some sort of standard decorating technique? What is it called?

It's standard. You can call it swags or garlands. It can be done with tip #86, 87, or 88 (or you can achieve the same look by overpiping with two tips--a rose/ruffle & star/border--in a two-step process).

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30E3AD-475A-BAC0-5B5F72A2563BB9A0&killnav=1

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 6

I recently checked out from the library and old, old Wilton book. You might check your library and see if they have it. The book had a lot of old techniques.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 6

Congratulations to your Grandparents!!!! I can't wait to see the cake, please let us know when you post the picture!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%