Help! Asap Modelling Chocolate

Baking By Ballymena Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 2:40pm by TexasSugar

Ballymena Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 7

Help with Modelling Chocolate. I used a recipe of 7 oz. white chocolate drops, not Wilton and 2 tbsp. corn syrup. I have let it sit and when I tried to knead it it fell into crumbs.
Any help? SHould I try more syrup?

6 replies
nhbaker Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 7

Try popping it into the microwave for a few seconds (like 5 second bursts). Might just need to be warmed a bit first.

TinkerCakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 7

Sometimes mine is crumbly but keep working with it, "mushing" it together and it should be ok. Good luck!

Ballymena Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 7

I checked it out with my old recipe, why I tried a new one when the old one works I'll nerver know, I added more corn syrup according to those measurements.
Heated it up in the microwave, added the corn syrup, drained off a lot of oil and I have a nice modelling chocolate just like it should be. Cooling in the fridge now. That makes me another day behind with the figure modelling.

Ballymena Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:01am
post #5 of 7

Modelling chocolate looked good but after it cooled it was terrible to work with. Couldn't get it smooth at all. Did some googleing and found on http://www.the-crafty-penguin.com/2011/07/cake-with-horizontal-stripes.html[url] that chocolate chips which is probably the same stuff as I had gets too crumbly. Well, lesson learned. I used a good quality chocolate before and never had trouble but tried to cheap out this time. Brings up "you get what you pay for" saying.[/url]

gidgetdoescakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:16am
post #6 of 7

the chcolate may hve been old..........try a few drops of corn syrup....make sure you dont get any water in it....put it in fridge over night, then take small amounts at a time and warm in your hands and knead until it is able to be molded......if it gets too mushy stick in fridge a few minutes and repeat...hth

TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7

Wilton's candy clay recipe is 14oz chocolate to 1/3 cup of corn syrup. 1/3rd cup is 5 tablespoons and like 1 teaspoon or something along those lines. It is slightly more than 5 tablespoons. So according ot that, I'd say you probably just need a touch more corn syrup in your recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%