Smash Cake Ideas!! Starting Tomorrow, Need Ideas Soon!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 1:49am by SweetSuzieQ

forheavenscake Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so my photographer friend called and wants to do a promo shoot Friday. She wants to showcase my cakes while creating her promo materials as well. . so she's asked for 2 smash cakes. One for a little girl and one for a little boy.

her idea is "Candy Shop" theme as far as photography goes and wants hot pink and lime green for the girl cake because she'll be wearing a pink and green tutu and then the other one will be blue and orange for the little guy.

I am actually stumped on this one. What can I do that will look great on camera and represent the theme? I was contemplating just something simple like polka dots, but then I get worried that's too boring.

Anyway. . would LOVE some ideas.

Thanks everyone!

7 replies
fuxeee Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 8

Hi icon_smile.gif
I will be making a pink and lime green butterfly bday cake for my daughter, my post (idea) is just under yours. I think the cake will look amazing, I just have to make sure i dont mess it up lol
Have a read, see what you think icon_smile.gif

x

SweetSuzieQ Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:48am
post #3 of 8

I was going to suggest to ice the cakes to look like those big circular lollypops. I tried to google to get an example and, found this:

This incorporates your dots with a little extra oomph to give it more camera appeal.

platinumlady Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 8

I like that idea by SweetSuzieQ... the only thing if the kids are actually going to be smashing and eating the cake..I would change the balls at the bottom to buttercream. Fondant can be a choking hazard for the little ones. Even would go as far as to say even the dots on the cake shouldn't be fondant unless someone is going to pull them off before the kids have at it.

I just did one but the colors were not the typical boy/girl colors.

HTH.

forheavenscake Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 8

Platinumlady. . .I'm with ya on that one. One of the little munchkins is mine. .LOL, so I'm already on top of the choking hazards!! I had the same idea as sweetsuzie. . I think I am going to ice them and make the fondant lollipops to stick in the middle (probably only two on each cake). They'll be big enough for the kids to grab hold of and big enough that if it makes it to their mouths before our hands get in there, it won't be any big deal. I am also going to put a few fondant curly cues on top and then decorate the rest of the cake with buttercream.

Hoping that this way, the fondant pieces will give the cakes some dimension, but will not be a choking hazard either.

Thoughts??

platinumlady Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:26am
post #6 of 8

Love it ...sounds good make sure you post pics

forheavenscake Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:05am
post #7 of 8

Hey everyone! I just got one of the pictures from the photographer to show you. The cake is already smashed up, but they looked SO cute! I'm still waiting on my son's pictures with the blue cake. . but here's the pink one. Go to my business facebook page and I have it posted on my wall. What do you think?

www.facebook.com/forheavenscakedesign

SweetSuzieQ Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:49am
post #8 of 8

ADORABLE (and the little girl looked super sweet too! LOL)

It turned out great!! Can't wait to see the blue one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%