Butterfly Birthday Cake For My Little Girls 2Nd Bday

Decorating By fuxeee Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 10:22pm by fuxeee

fuxeee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuxeee Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,
I have decided to make my little girls birthday cake myself to make the event even more special this year icon_smile.gif
i always loved butterflies so decided that will be the theme of the cake. This will be my first ever cake so I am excited at nervous at the same time, really dont want to mess it up.
It'll be a 2 tiered pink cake covered in fondant. at the bottom of each cake i will decorate with some hot pink and lime green pearls.
I will make 3 different sizes of butterflies out of the same colour fondant(not flat ones) and will colour them with purple, pink and lime green edible glitter. they will be stuck on the cake in a spiral and the biggest butterfly will be on the top.
I will put 2 candles on top of the cake (i prefer them than number ones)- one pink and one green (main colour theme of the cake) and will put glitter on their holders.

I am watching loads of videos of how to decorate cakes etc. but I could do with any advice any of you might have.
One question! do i have to put buttercream icing underneath the fondant or can that be left out or can anything else be used instead?

many thanks

fuxeee

7 replies
forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 8

Oh that sounds so pretty! I love the icing with pearls idea. . I may work that in to my idea as well! Good luck with your first cake!

To answer your question, yes you need to use icing underneath the fondant. This is what holds it to the cake.

Good luck!

fuxeee Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you! icon_smile.gif if it turns out to be the way I imagined it, it will be perfect for my little one icon_smile.gif
Her birthday is not till October so until then I keep doing my research and possibly make a test cake lol

icon_smile.gif

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 8

That's great! Practice (and PATIENCE) makes perfect!!

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 8

How exciting! Yes, you should at least crumb coat the cakes. The BC will help the fondant stick to the cake. Any idea on how you plan on securing the butterflies to the cake? Maybe RI will do the trick. Good luck icon_smile.gif

fuxeee Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 8

yes, I will be using RI icon_smile.gif hopefully it will work just fine icon_smile.gif
I will post pictures of my success (or possible disaster icon_biggrin.gif)

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 8

That would be lovely! I'm sure you will do great, I also forgot to mention that some people dislike the taste of fondant and that way if you have a bit of BC on there they will be able to peal away the Fondant and still have some icing on there. HTH icon_wink.gif

fuxeee Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 8

thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%