Which Tastes Less Gross? Gumpaste Or Royal Icing?

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm by Narie

banananutmuffin Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 20

I am making 200+ cupcakes for my niece's wedding. They're going to be a basic swirl, and then topped with a small sugar flower and maybe some edible pearls. Simple, I know, but I am doing it for free.

Anyhoo, I plan to order the sugar flowers in either gumpaste or royal icing because I hate making flowers and I'm lazy. lol I know both gumpaste and royal icing taste gross, but which is less gross? I am certain at least some of the guests will try to eat them, and I am hoping for the lesser of two evils.

On another note, has anyone ordered from wholesalesugarflowers.com? Any experience with them?

19 replies
Periperi Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 20

My personal opinion is that royal icing tastes better than gumpaste. Gumpaste has such a weird slimy texture when you try and eat it. blech

TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 20

I don't think either taste gross. They are both just sweet tasting to me.

With royal icing you can flavor it with some extracts to match the flavor to what you are doing.

For me it would all depend on what flower I am making and what look I am going for.

JamAndButtercream Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 20

Hi,
I'm going to vote royal icing,
The royal icing I know is quite sweet tasting (I'm from the UK)
I'm not keen on gum paste,
Geoff on Ace of Cakes once described it as tasting like a wet wafer. . . . . .
yum! ( thumbsdown.gif )

sharon24 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 20

Royal icing gets my vote too

kathie-d Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 20

Royal icing definitely gets my vote too...but like said before, it depends what kind of flowers and look you are going for.

banananutmuffin Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 20

I heard royal icing dries hard as a rock. Does that mean I need to worry about a guest chipping a tooth? icon_lol.gif

kathie-d Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin

I heard royal icing dries hard as a rock. Does that mean I need to worry about a guest chipping a tooth? icon_lol.gif

I personally would worry more about that with gumpaste. It dries to almost a porcelain finish.

MHCakes2 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 20

I have found much success with gumpaste. I know it may sound wierd, but most of my gumpaste items are lightly colored to whatever end color I want to achieve (ie pink for red), then I take my gel colors, paint brush and flavored vodka or rum and paint them, to get the desired color and finish. I have found that the flavor from the alcohol makes the gumpaste taste good and a lot of people like the raspberry or vanilla.
I have also used this when I paint my royal icing flowers/designs. HTH

JamAndButtercream Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 20

Yeah both go like a rock,
I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from the UK, and little sugar flowers are available to buy from the supermarkets,

This is what I mean -
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=supercook+sugar+flowers&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=603&tbm=isch&tbnid=MMO3fbxCjrW0SM:&imgrefurl=http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/product.asp%253Fid%253D5421&docid=sjT3PaO2xQAivM&w=350&h=350&ei=d_BCTt_ZFoiChQex2ODCCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=125&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=211&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=126&ty=75

Theres quite a lot in a small pot, they're just like little piped soft(ish) sugar flowers.

TinkerCakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 20

OK....I have to ask.....are there different kinds of gumpastes? I bought the wilton premade gumpaste and it drys hard as a ROCK with no taste really. Why anyone would eat it is beyond me, yet I have heard some people say they like to eat it????? And Periperi said slimy texture??? Maybe there are different kinds that I'm unaware of. I was scared someone would chip a tooth with the gumpaste decorations I made for my daughters cake...I felt terrible that the kids couldn't eat them.

As far as the OP's question...I would go with royal icing, I don't think it's gross...but it is very sweet!

Relznik Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 20

I really like royal icing!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Gum paste does have a horrible slimy texture when eaten.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 20

While gumpaste does dry hard, if we are talking about thin flowers they are not going to chip a tooth. If you took a gumpaste flower and dropped it on the floor it would shatter. So why would it chip a tooth?

And with the royal, unless we are talking a rose or a large flower it will start to melt in your mouth, and will soften up.

TinkerCakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 20

texassugar....I guess the difference is i didn't make flowers with thin petals, I made the decorations on the Dora cake in my pictures (big mistake, should have used something edible for the children) They were seriously tooth-cracking-hard! icon_smile.gif

elizaBakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 20

Royal Icing! My kids love eating my RI flowers, it's just like any other hard sugar candy and I don't think i would try eating GP

Coral3 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:35pm
post #16 of 20

I would use whatever you need to use for the flowers you want...neither is going to be overly appetising, but then decorations, although edible, are really not intended to be eaten (although, yes some people will, but that's their choice).

TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason-Lisa

texassugar....I guess the difference is i didn't make flowers with thin petals, I made the decorations on the Dora cake in my pictures (big mistake, should have used something edible for the children) They were seriously tooth-cracking-hard! icon_smile.gif

Yes that is a big difference to me. Personally while I wouldn't have a problem popping a small flower in my mouth, I'm not gonna try to snack on Dora's hard head. That much gumpaste (or even dried fondant) would be hard to eat, and in my opinion is really just for show. icon_smile.gif

TinkerCakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:10pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason-Lisa

Yes that is a big difference to me. Personally while I wouldn't have a problem popping a small flower in my mouth, I'm not gonna try to snack on Dora's hard head. That much gumpaste (or even dried fondant) would be hard to eat, and in my opinion is really just for show. icon_smile.gif

Well, Dora was a candle, so you really wouldn't want to take a bite of her! LOL! I think next time I will try modeling chocolate for decorations like that. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:18pm
post #19 of 20

I've done things before, like turkeys using fondant with gumtex added. I just suggest people taking them off the cake. I would do the same thing for any flowers with wires (even royal icing flowers with wire stamens) and fondant bows and such. I like having the all (or almost when you consider wires) edible things on cakes, but I don't always make them just so people can eat them. I think it just adds to the wow factor. icon_smile.gif

Narie Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #20 of 20

I have ordered gumpaste flowers, and I have made royal icing flowers. Both are as hard as a rock. Don't worry about what they taste like. Worry about somebody chipping a tooth if they actually try to eat them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%