How Much For This?

Decorating By Burgundycakes Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 2:24am by mplaidgirl2

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #31 of 37

"Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread. I am so sorry, i have been busy with another cake". icon_razz.gif

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:45pm
post #32 of 37

First off, I don't sell my cakes but I do have a business degree and ran the business side of my late husband's business. My thinking may be way off, but I think that the total cost of creating a product (including overhead/taxes, etc.) is only part of the equation. IMHO, you can conclude your MIMIMUM price from these figures, but if the market will bear a higher price for a particular item, why not? Especially for unique items like a carved cakes. Knowing what others charge can be a helpful tool (granted it's better to know from others within your geographic area), along with knowing your market/clientele and your own skill level. I know my skill level would not support what I would have to charge for a cake due to the gourmet ingredients I use and the ridiculous amount of time I spend (I've always said I'm more persnickety than talented). So, for now, it's an expensive hobby. Plus, I guess I'm just the curious type...I like seeing what other people charge. icon_lol.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 7:34pm
post #33 of 37

If I were doing that cake and needed only 150 servings, I would make all of the servings come from the 2 side sections...each side looks like it could support 3 cakes and depending on the size you could easily get 25 servings each out of those 6 cakes.

Now depending on if they want to keep the project all edible, i.e. RKT used to make the other bleacher section or if they want to go "Ace of Cake" style and have half of the cake be wood or styro foam icon_razz.gif .....that would make a difference on the final price.

Styro would be less espensive from me, because I would also use that as the support structure, cover it in fondant and decorate. RKT would be a little bit more.

I would price that at $10 serving - $1500 for cake/styro combination or $12 serving/$1800 cake/RKT combo.

It's not really a difficult cake, there is very little if any carving and not much in the way of details. It's pretty much 6 rectangular cakes and the rest RKT or styro.

Now please take into consideration that I have very little overhead since I work out of my home, so your price may need to be higher in order for you to reach the profit margin you've set for your business.

HTH I look forward to seeing it when you make it.

Burgundycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burgundycakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:47am
post #34 of 37

@ cakestyle, thanks for all the help. I think i will go with what you suggested. thanks once again.

And thanks to all who contributed.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundycakes

@ cakestyle, thanks for all the help. I think i will go with what you suggested. thanks once again.

And thanks to all who contributed.

You're very welcome!

kittiboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittiboo Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 1:58am
post #36 of 37

I can't really help on the pricing, but I have to ask- are the people in the stands made of sprinkles?? I can't tell from the photo. Neat cake.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:24am
post #37 of 37

I found larger multicolored nonpariels at micheals so make life easier...
Check out my yankee stadium cake.
I know it looks small but it was 14 inch rounds

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%