Did Peaches Dry Out My Cake?

Baking By bethasd Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm by scp1127

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

I decided to experiment with my yellow cake recipe for my mom's birthday cake. I took my usual recipe (a variation on Sylvia Weinstock's) and added diced peaches to the batter before baking. My cake is usually moist but with the peaches it ended up dry and crumbly. Could the acidity in the peaches have caused this? They sat in the bowl for at least 1/2 hr. after I chopped them. Could that be it? Thanks for any insight you may have!

4 replies
Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 5

How odd. If anything I would think the peaches would've added to the moisture. Hope someone is able to give you some helpful advice.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5

I really don't think the peaches had anything to do w/the problem. Well........that is if it is a box mix. If scratch it might as I don't do sc ratch so can't really say.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:38am
post #4 of 5

One thought I had was that maybe the cake had to cook longer with the fruit. I've noticed that with pancakes. Just that extra 5 minutes might have dried it out...who knows.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 5

I have found that fresh peaches are the easiest to add to scratch recipes. The added fruit and some juice seem to work well. I think you may have hit a moist spot and baked too long. Do it again, but go with your regular time.

I will have to say that SW's recipe is more temperamental than others I have used. I use my grandmother's pound cake recipe because it can handle anything. I've also used other favorite recipes, but I would shy away from SW's with fruit just because I would think it would need a few times to tweak. I have greatly altered her recipe for my own use, but it is still not the most forgiving recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%