Bettercreme Questions....

Decorating By BabyGSR Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 10:28pm by elizaBakes

BabyGSR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGSR Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 10

How do you color your bettercreme and icing the cake before the whip icing going stiff?

I know how to color the icing but why does it goes stiff so soon and it gets hard to iced the cake. Is it better not to put color in your whip?

9 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 10

Are you using the pre-whipped or the liquid stuff and whipping it yourself?

If you're whipping it yourself you probably have it at the perfect consistency before you add the color then adding the color and mixing it more causes it to stiffen. Or are you talking hard like it cracks kind of hard?

BabyGSR Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 10

I bought the bettercreme from sam's club. It feels like when I take more time on the whip icing, it dries up fast.

I'm planing to iced up a fullsheet cake with the bettercreme but if I can't handle working fast with it, I might end up doing bc with the whipped icing as a filling. I don't really like bc since it's so sweet but it seems easier to work with.

BabyGSR Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 10

It becomes stiff after adding colors and hard to ice the cake with.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 10

It's because it's prewhipped. You'll also want to be sure it's kept cold. If it gets warm it's hard to smooth. So keep it chilled and if you can, try to get it unwhipped. Sam's doesn't carry it like that though. I get mine unwhipped and whip it myself. When it's about half way to the point I want it to be, I add the colors.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 10

I use a lot of Bettercreme. Makes yummy fillings mixed with fruit too.
It can become too stiff from over whipping too.

Try saving some of it aside instead of whipping the entire container.
That way if you over whip it or if it gets to stiff you can pour in some of the liquid form and blend real quick - just to mix it in - and this will save it.

I believe it even suggests this on the side of the carton.

When all else fails, blend it just less than how stiff you actually want it since it has the tendency to firm up a lil after mixing.
Good luck.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 10

Jewels, Do you think a wedding tiered cake in bettercreme will hold up in travel? I gave to travel about 50 min. I plan on stacking there at the site.

BabyGSR Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 10

good question mareg.

Jewels can you share some bettercreme fillings that you use with fruits? do you just add anykind of fruit to it and nothing else, is that what you meant?

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 10

As far as travel: I have traveled with cakes iced and stacked in bettercreme.
I always make sure the cake has been refrigerated for quite a while beforehand, something I always prefer for stability even though it does not require refrigeration.
Some folks have trouble getting bettercreme completely smooth, a hot spatula helps with this I have found. In my pics, off the top of my head I have a big beer mug frosted in Bettercreme and a two tier white cake with butterflies and a big pink flower on top frosted in bettercreme too, so you can see how it smooths out.

As far as fruit filling - the easiest are the fruit filling sleeves. They work quite well mixed in, a particular fave that I often get requests for is raspberry. I was very hesitant trying it because I have not heard the greatest reviews on the taste of the fruit sleeves. But mixed it is delish. I have also used fresh fruit just fine.
Also, its amazing mixed with 1:1 ratio ganache! Add some chopped almonds and coconut to the ganache and you have a yummy "almond joy" filling!
Enjoy!

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 10

I actually havent tried Bettercream, but Pastry Pride & Froster's Pride is the same thing. I get my in liquid form from Smart &Final (not sure if you have obe around) I have always colored mine after I whip it up useing Wilton Gel Colors. I have also traveled with frosted cakes and it does fine, however a bit more nurve wrecking than BC. You can't just take a napkin or spatula back onto the frosting once it's stiffend. Make sure you always keep your frosting cold and covered while working with it, contact with air is what makes it stiffen. Also I forgot to cover it one time, and I re-whipped it and went it seemed to go back to its normal smoothness. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%