Topsy Turvy Cake Tin Sizes

Decorating By forcupscake Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 12:31pm by tiptop57

forcupscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forcupscake Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what size cake tins i should use to make a topsy turvy cake like the ones on pinkcakebox.com?
thanks

4 replies
kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 5

It really depends on what you're looking for. In general, I usually do three cakes for each tier. For example, if I'm doing a 2 tier and we call them a 12" and 9". For the 12 inch, I would stack a 10", 11" and 12". For the 9", I would stacke a 7", 8" and 9". Then, I'd cut them to the shape needed for topsy turvey. Does that make sense?

Karen

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 5

For a two-tiered Topsy Turvy, I tell my students don't go smaller than a 6" for the top otherwise you may have issues covering it and I prefer a 3" inch difference for the bottom tier so you can add fun pieces on top of it. I usually use a 9". In the UK I have heard that 3" difference is sort of a standard, but could be wrong. The USA usually makes a 2 inch difference but I find the cakes are crowded then and do not look proportional.

Then three layers for each tier - carved.

HTH

forcupscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forcupscake Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your replies. I am not making a mad hatter type but a standard type i.e the cake is the same diameter up all the way except for the slant. So am I right in thinking that if i have a six inch top tier, the middle tier should be 9 inches and the bottom tier should be 12 inches. Also how many layers of cake should i use for each tier?

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 5

If I understand you correctly, still use three layers as you will cut the top to give it a slant. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%