How To Do A Baby Clothes Washing Line Cake

Decorating By emma_123 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 10:57am by jennifercullen

emma_123 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:21am
post #1 of 13

Hello, I've been asked to make a Christening cake and they would like a washing line on the top with little baby clothes on as they saw something similar online.

I'd like (if possible) to make the clothes out of fondant but wasn't sure what the best way of securing them onto the line was or the best thing to make the line itself out of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've just set up my own business and this is the first official business cake and its so different to what I've done before!

Thank you!

12 replies
Mandyjb74 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:41am
post #2 of 13

if you are laying the washing line flat on the cake you could do it out of fondant but if you want it to stand up i think you would have to make the washing line itself out of non edibles
have you got a picture of what the customer wants??

sweetideas Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:59am
post #3 of 13

If you are doing it more 3D I guess floss might work, but I would try it out and see how long and how much it would hold. You could maybe split the top of a wood skewer stick and make a loop on the end of the floss, and hang it that way. Not sure if it would hold enough though.

emma_123 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 13

I can't seem to attach the picture she sent me so not sure what I'm doing wrong so hopefully this might work instead - Image

idontknow Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 13

hi emma, i did a baby clothes line cake (in my pics) and i cut out the clothes from fondant freehand, was quite easy just looked at some images and used an exacto knife. I then piped the clothes line itself on to the cake using RI and stuck the clothes on top with RI. For extra depth, I added some RI decoration on some of the clothes. I made the clothes beforehand and let them dry - i still have some left over as I made quite a few.

idontknow Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 13

oops sorry i just saw your pic, i didn't do the standing up version!

emma_123 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 13

That's a lovely cake idon'tknow, did you use cutters for the clothes or cut them out freehand?

idontknow Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 13

i cut them out freehand - i was surprised how easy it was to get the shape right. first i printed out one from the internet i thought i'd use a template but found that after a couple of tries cutting around the shape, i could do it without the template which was slowing me down. then i just tried other shapes without a template.

knlcox Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 13

Hi! I added a clothes line to a cake I did. I used an exacto knife to cut fondant shapes of the little clothing and small bibs and socks. I then took 2 dowels and knicked the tops slightly with the exacto knife. I didn't slice all the way through. I inserted the dowels in a styrofoam square and spaced them apart as they would go on my cake. I used regular sewing string and tied it to the top of the dowels, it didn't slide down because it stopped at the spots I knicked. I used a tiny bit of glue to secure the string to the knicked area for added security. Then I hung the tiny clothes on it. I didn't add it to the cake until all was well and dried. I didn't want to mess up my smooth cake finish if anything fell off. I secured the clothing by gently pinching the tiny tops to the string using my fingers and tweezers. I even moistened it slightly to ensure it would dry to the string. I'll post the pic to my photos. I haven't uploaded yet, but I will!

jennifercullen Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 13

To take knlcox's & sweetideas erm.. ideas, I think I would use 2 wooden skewers and nick the tops a little so I could put some string of something in-between them and glue it in, then either cut the clothes out of a really thin bit of gumpaste or maybe even make them out of paper to keep the weight to an absolute minimum. Then keep the line out of the cake until the last minute just in case anything falls off! icon_smile.gif

kittiboo Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 1:41am
post #11 of 13

I may be a little late to this, but I've done several clothesline cakes (though no 3D ones, just flat on the sides of the cake). I bought a mini cutter set at Michael's that is suppsed to be little people- a circle head, pants, t-shirt and shoes. I use the t-shirt cutter and then cut little leg-holes in the bottom using the edge of the circle to make a onesie. Works really well! I also use the pants cutter and cut off the legs to make a diaper or bloomers.
Here's an example: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2123801

emma_123 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 13

Just wanted to come and say thank you for all of your help, I made the cake last week and she was very happy with it (there were bits I could have done better so I wasn't 100% happy with it sadly!). Thank you again, I really appreciated all your help! Here are what it looked like in the end

jennifercullen Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:57am
post #13 of 13

That's lovely. Well done icon_smile.gif it looks like it worked really well to me. I don't know about you, but I dont think I will ever be a hundred percent happy with my work no matter how good it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%