Advice For Gluten Free Cakes

Baking By SteveJ Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 9:29pm by jason_kraft

SteveJ Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:09am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a gluten free cake and i have never made one before so i'm just asking for some advice from anyone who has any experience with gluten free cakes!

I understand that i will need to replace the flour and baking powder with gluten free versions but i have no idea how this will affect the cake! i was planing on just using the gluten free ingredients in my current cake recipe; will this work or should i really use a recipe tailored to a gluten free cake!

Thanks for any help and advice that you give me icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Davwattie Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:20am
post #2 of 8

Never tried it but here is a recipe for gluten free sponge cake so you can compare it to a normal recipe

Makes 2x 7 inch cakes
110g rice flour sifted
55g plus 2 tbsps almond flour
1/3 cup plus 1 tsp cornflour sifted
2 tsps gluten free baking powder
80g salted butter
200g caster sugar
6 eggs

oven 180c
whick baking powder & flour together in a bowl, then in another bowl whisk eggs, butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
Add all ingredients together until well blended

Seperate into two tins and bake for 30 mins or until centre is springy.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 8

Usually GF cakes require a little trial and error, but there are many good recipes out there. You will have to be very careful about cross-contamination though -- do not use any porous surfaces that have previously touched gluten (non-porous surfaces are OK to reuse as long as you clean and sanitize them thoroughly), and make sure all gluten-containing ingredients have been stored elsewhere before starting work on the GF cake. Also, flour can stay airborne up to 24 hours, so if you've used flour in your kitchen you need to wait at least that long before starting the GF cake.

coleslawcat Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 8

Good advice so far. If you have not baked gluten free before you may want to stick to a doctored cake mix using the Betty Crocker mixes. There is a book, The Cake Doctor Bakes Gluten Free. She uses those mixes. I usually bake from scratch, but I have used those recipes on occassion and they all come out. I think there would be less trial and error going that way.

If you want to bake from scratch using your own recipes, I have good luck using Better Batter flour in my regular recipes just subbing 1:1. I have a few other blends I work with too, but this one is my standard. The Better Batter already has the xanthan gum and pectin mixed in. Do not just buy a bag of Bob's Red Mill, that one has bean flour in it and many people (myself included) taste the beans in anything you bake with it.

SteveJ Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:20am
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys! thumbs_up.gif I never thought about the cross contamination aspect; so thank-you very much for that!

I had a look in my local supermarket for a gluten-free cake mix and they do have one. i always bake from scratch and so would rather not use a mix but i guess if they work then it could be a reliable solution!

I've seen an interesting recipe using mashed potato on the good food website; it seems to have great reviews! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5870/glutenfree-lemon-drizzle-cake
i would leave out the lemon parts and perhaps add a bit of vanilla extract instead (if thats gluten free!!)

i think may have a bake off and put the mix up against the potato cake (a bake off i never thought i'd be doing!)

TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 8

There is more to doing the gluten free baking than changing out the flour. They do have some flour mixes, but if you use the different types of flours most of the recipes call for the addition of one of the gums can't think of it at the moment.

I would google gluten free baking, and it will pull up some sights dedicated to it.

I tried a gluten free cake back in April and I didn't have great luck with it. I was having to do gluten and dairy free, so the combination was probably my issues.

inspiredbymom Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the tip on the Better Batter flour. I just looked into the new line of King Arthur Flour and mixes but there is still cornstarch in them so the lady I bake for can not use them. The multi-purpose GF flour doesn't have the xanthan gum in it and that is expensive to buy separately. For the OP, there are many recipes out there that are designed for GF baking. Just replacing flours does not always get the results you are looking for. Flours such as potato, corn, rice (brown and white), tapioca, all have different textures. I talked to a lady locally who owned a dedicated GF bakery and she spent YEARS combining flours to get better textures. I am so fortunate that I don't have those types of allergies! Anyway, keep looking. There is sooo much out there!

jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 8

Our GF flour mix is a combination of rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum. Rice flour and tapioca starch are pretty inexpensive, but sorghum flour and xanthan gum are pricey, luckily the majority of the mix is rice flour. We spent about 6 months developing this mix and it works very well for cakes (breads are a different story).

Most commercial GF mixes contain bean flours (which give the product a strange taste) or potato starch (which results in a gritty texture).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%