Opinions On Milk Types Used In Baking?

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 11:33am by scp1127

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:42am
post #1 of 4

Hiya! Ok, So I was browsing one of my recipes and I was wondering, what would happen if i switched the type of milk used? By rule, I always use full milk.

But what if I used coconut milk? Or buttermilk?
Would one or the other be considered taboo for certain recipes?
How would things change? icon_confused.gif

3 replies
m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:03am
post #2 of 4

Ooooo! Good question! I would hazard that it would depend on the fat content? But I could be completely wrong. I shall be intently watching this,

Coconut milk would be yummy in a tropical cake. And buttermilk I have seen in chocolate cakes before.

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:08am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_willford

Ooooo! Good question! I would hazard that it would depend on the fat content? But I could be completely wrong. I shall be intently watching this,

Coconut milk would be yummy in a tropical cake. And buttermilk I have seen in chocolate cakes before.

I am still trying to understand the whole science part of baking, so im not exactly sure what the correct percentage of fat should be according to each recipe. :/

Ive used buttermilk in red velvet and that came out deliscous. Though i did add a bit more chocolate than what would be considered.. True Red Velvet. ^w^

Im a little tentative to try the coconut milk. Being that, well, ive never tasted it before! So im not sure how it will affect things. Like the fat content? But, flavor too. The cupcake flavor in question would be strawberry lemonade.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:33am
post #4 of 4

You need to be able to compensate for any changes in fat. If you don't, it doesn't mean that the cake will not be good, just different. If you try to adjust, remember, for example that butter is fat and water, so an issue.

If you want to change it, either just try it, or do my "Frankenstein" method. This is how I learned to sub years ago. Find several recipes with the ingredients you like, for example, coconut milk. Compare by graph, the amount of each ingredient. See if you can find a pattern or an obvious adjustment that looks like it will work. Just remember that cakes are the least forgiving when you adjust their balance. You will have to do like the rest of us scratch bakers, no matter how experienced, and be prepared for a poor outcome. Then try again. This is how you get those great personal recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%