Sapphire Blue.? 45Th Anniversary Cake.

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 3:15am by weidertm24

weidertm24 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:39am
post #1 of 4

What color do I need to achieve a sapphire blue for a 45th Anniversary cake? I'm making a small 8in cake and wanted to decorate it with sapphire blue roses

Any suggestions..?Also not sure if I'm going to use fondant or buttercream yet (as I haven't perfected my buttercream roses but we'll see) Whichever will be easier to achieve the color is what I'll go with.

3 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:48am
post #2 of 4

My engagement ring is a Ceylon sapphire but it's almost a lavender color. So the color of a sapphire is all over the map. I'm just assuming you're talking about the really deep blue ones here....

Hmm not sure about which exact colors, but I would say go with the Chefmaster brand because I have had issues with Americolor colors (the blues and greens) "breaking" on me if that makes sense. When you use a lot of color sometimes it looks like the color has separated which you don't want. I'm strictly referring to buttercream here.

I would start with a true blue (not like a navy) and then get that as bright as possible, then maybe add some black to it to darken it up a bit.

For me, making roses in BC would probably be easier, because you can add the color using the mixer and let the mixer do the work. However, I'm like you and my BC roses aren't perfect so I would probably less inclined to make them that way. But with fondant, you have to do some serious kneading to get all that color incorporated. It just depends on which method you ultimately want to use.

sugarandstuff Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:28am
post #3 of 4

There are many color wheels for food coloring on the internet that are helpful

weidertm24 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 4

Thanks I think I'll go with buttercream. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%