Use Fbct Or Ri For Deorating The Side Of A Square Cake?

Decorating By superwawa Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 2:46pm by TexasSugar

superwawa Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 5

Hello CC-ers!

I am making some of those baby block cakes in a few weeks and had planned to do the letters/shapes on the block sides out of fondant for crisp results.

Well I've now been asked to keep the cakes fondant free - so I am wondering what is the best method for "small" details like this for the SIDE of a square block cake? The cake will be done with with a Crisco-based BC(specifically Indydebi's recipe) and will NOT be in A/C for the event.

If it was not in the warm months or was in A/C I would probably do a chocolate transfer since I am experienced with those. But with the warm weather I know I need a better solution.

While I have been searching and reading CC all morning about the opinions and positives/negatives about doing FBCTs and RI transfer/plaques I wonder if anyone with experience could share their thoughts about using a method for the SIDE of a square cake - my worry of course is to keep anything attached from sliding.

Or would you forego any type of attached item and neatly pipe on the detail in BC

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
cakesrock Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:06am
post #2 of 5

I would be worried about a FBCT on the side sliding, but I've never done one that way. I'm sure there are others that could speak to that.
Could you use an edible image? Or did you want the depth? I'd be more apt to try the RI transfer, though again, I've never done one.
Or what about one of those image transfers you learn to do in your first Wilton classes - the one you do with piping gel?

TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 5

I've done FBCTs on the side of a square cake before and it was fine. You just have to make sure when you are putting it against the cake you push a little to make sure it attaches.

Once on the cake an FBCT is just like any other decoration on the cake.

superwawa Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies! I think I will try to do a test on a dummy this week to see what kind of transfer comes out better for me and what holds up best.

For both FBCT and RI - is it OK/best to apply on the day of delivery?

TexasSugar Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 5

RI I would apply on the day of or the night before. With the FBCT, I'd do it any time I'd do the other decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%