Neep Help Pricing 3 Tiered Cake Asap

Decorating By heavenscent Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 2:11pm by TexasSugar

heavenscent Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

Need hep pricing a 3 tiered cake with filling on all 3 tieres. Fondant accent pieces cake will feed 60 people. Thery are also wanting me to deliver cake cut and serve. My first thought was 150.00 but second guessing do you think to high or to low. I am in the Dallas area. Thanks

4 replies
cakestyles Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:32am
post #2 of 5

Too low, at least for me. It would be $4 a serving for bc and $5 a serving for fondant, plus delivery from me. GP flowers if needed would be extra.

cakestyles Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 5

I just noticed the cut and serve part...$50 an hr for that.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

Our tiered cakes start at $5/serving. With fondant covering and additional accents we would probably charge in the $350-450 range depending on how complex the accents were. Delivery would be $1/minute round trip and we would charge $60/hour to stay for the cut and serve.

This is in CA, which requires a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen to sell food. TX has the same rule until this September, when the cottage food law goes into effect.

How many hours do you think it will take to bake and decorate the cake? What is your estimated ingredient cost? How much annual overhead do you have (insurance, license fees, etc.)?

TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 5

What size tiers are you doing?

If you do a 6/8/10 round, then your cake serves 74.
If you do a 6/9/12 round, then your cake serves 100.

Those are important numbers to base your price off of. Not how many people they need the cake to serve, because more often then not you won't be able to make a cake for exactly that number of people.

For me I do buttercream cakes for $3 a serving. It would depend on how much fondant would be used for the design on if I would up charge or not for it.

So the 6/8/10 would start at $222 and the 6/9/12 would start at $300.

I live in a smaller town in East Texas, so depending on where the cake was going I may or may not add in an extra fee. I did deliver a cake a ways away once and did charge I think $1 a mile there and back. But we are talking an 45 min drive.

Being in the Dallas area, it means your cake could be going many different places, so I'd decide how far it is going, how much traffic you may have to deal with.

As far as the cutting of the cake, I'd charge for me time to be there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%