Fondant Drapes On Buttercream - Please Advise

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 2:04am by dessert1st

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 4

I need to add fondant drapes on Buttercream tiers. Other than using a crusting Buttercream, what words of wisdom do you have for me?

Thanks!

3 replies
Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 4

Just wondering why you would not want to use a crusting buttercream recipe with your fondant drapes. I used Sharon Zambito's recipe which does crust and then rolled my fondant as thin as possible. I attached the drapes with melted chocolate and held them in place for several minutes before letting go. You can see a picture on this site. It's a pink cake with brown swirls and a "M" and "2010". I've used other buttercream recipes but I think the fondant would stay in place better on the crusted kind. Sorry to disappoint but it looked like you hadn't had any other responses so I thought I'd just share my experience. Hope that helps.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 4

Maybe she meant she already is using a crusting bc and therefore does not need advice about that particular part. I never use a crusting bc, so I chill my cakes solid before adding anything like that. The fondant chills as well, and forms to the shape of the cold bc (the tier edges) and you're all set.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #4 of 4

Yes Maria, you're correct - I already plan to use a crusting buttercream and I was looking for further advice. Your tip about working with well chilled tiers is greatly appreciated. I was planning to thoroughly chill it before trying to transport... but was forgetting to add the extra "chill" step I before adding the drapes.

I think I better make myself a step by step list!
lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%