What Is The Name Of The L Shaped Hardware Tool???

Decorating By anjaligg Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 1:42am by ma_baker_30

anjaligg Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 9

I have seen a tutorial where they used an L-shaped tool from hardware store to smooth buttercream on cake sides. Does anybody know what its called?

8 replies
cakestyles Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 9

bench scraper?

Serena4016 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 9

I just ran downstairs to look in my my sketch book because I had written it down when I was watching a tutorial on covering a cake in ganache. It is called a metal square.

ChelleW Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 9

I think it may be called a mitre square but am not 100%. Just go to the store and describe it and they will find it for you - I did and the man thought I was completely mad when I said it was for cakes but he found it straight away anyway - gave him a laugh!

Occther Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 9

At ICES, several demonstrators used a paint edge tool that looks like a piece of those old-fashioned window blinds with a metal handle attached. I have bench scrapers but sometimes they aren't wide enough. Like the paint edge tool idea!

DaniNicole Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 9

Try square or mitre square, I believe...it should be with the levelers, that is where they had them in my HOme Depot

shanter Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 9

You can also use a drywall knife (a.k.a. mud knife, mud trowel) as a smoother. They come in stainless steel and up to (I think) 12 inches long.

The item you asked about is also called a carpenter's square or a framing square.

anjaligg Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:08am
post #8 of 9

Thanks you all so much. Mitre square was exactly it!!! Gotta love cake central icon_smile.gif

ma_baker_30 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:42am
post #9 of 9

It's also called a tri-square/try-square.
I bought mine at Home Depot for 7.99
The one I found has a 1 mm gap at the bottom which I don't like. The one I saw Michelle Rea use had a complete L with a solid base.
Please let me know if you find the same type of tool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%