Stacking Sponge Cakes

Decorating By Ketleygirl Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 8:49pm by Marianna46

Ketleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ketleygirl Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 2

Hi Guys
I have only been making cakes for a little while and i am looking for some advise on how is best to Stack my Sponge cakes?

I'm not sure if i'm not making enough mixture or something? but when my cakes are cooked they have usually risen in the middle, which i have to cut to level.
I can't cut them too much as i use sandwich tins so my cakes would be very thin.
As a result when i stack my cakes i always have a gap / crevace which i have to pile loads of butter cream into. I have tried to trim around the sides making the void less however then the cake crumbles as i am spreading my butter icing onto it and comes away in chunks.

This is really the only problem i have with my cakes and i'm not really sure how to deal with it? Do i need to make more mixture and fill a deeper tin to the top?

Thanks
icon_redface.gif

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 2

I'm not sure I understand everything here. Are you saying that your cakes come out with a dome but when you cut off the dome, it has sunk in the middle? I'm not sure where the gap comes from that you need to fill with buttercream. I would suggest a couple of things. One is to use regular 2" cake tins and fill them enough (about 2/3 of the way up for most recipes) so that you can cut the dome off level with the top edge of the pan. Then, if you want thinner layers, torte the cake into two or three layers. If you bake thinner layers, you run the risk of the cake being dry. If you'd like less of a dome to begin with, you could try using something like Wilton's Bake-Even strips (I say something like, because there are other brands, but I don't know what they're called) around the outside of you pans. I hope I've understood your question correctly. If not, feel free to set me straight and, if I can, I'd be glad to help out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%