Wal-Mart Is Now Making Wedding Cakes!

Decorating By cupncake1 Updated 27 Feb 2014 , 10:35pm by AZCouture

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 123

What more do they want! I didnt ask the prices, probley $20.00 cause they have some factory ship them 200 frozen cakes at a time then use their tub of lard to frost and decorate them, has anyone else seen this?

122 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 123

My sister had walmart do her wedding cake a year ago, it tasted horrible, but they actually did a good job on decorating and priced a little cheaper than I would have, 3 tiers, $120. Not all walmart decorators are created equal though! the girl doing cakes that day actually had talent!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 123

Our WalMart has always done wedding cakes. They put the tiers in the box and had you the supports! All of their display cakes are dusty and I don't think that they do any custom designs.
I am not competing against WalMart.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 123

They do make cakes with custom designs:
http://www.walmart.com/cp/Bakery/120764

Given that tiered cakes are labor intensive I wouldn't expect prices to be too much lower, and in many cases the Walmart cake will probably be "good enough" for people who don't care too much about the cake.

They don't list prices, but it's worthwhile checking your local Walmart to see what they do charge. If you are undercutting Walmart you are probably doing something wrong. icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 123

My sister had a Walmart wedding cake years ago. The cake was 4" thick, no filling, and had push-in pillars. It fell partway through the reception, but it looked pretty until then.

sheepmanswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheepmanswife Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 123

Our Wal-mart and local grocery store have always done wedding cakes. I don't feel like they are direct competion to the wedding cakes our family does. We are compareable in price, but not in look and taste.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 123

.....did you not know that poor people get married too?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 123

The three tiered Walmart wedding cake starts at $160 or so and then goes up from there. The extent of their customizing is based on selections from book....believe me they aren't offering fondant or gumpaste roses.

They're advantage is their price point which is just fine because not everyone can or wants to spend 3.00 and up per serving. Also, believe it or not, there are plenty of people who like the taste of a supermarket cake.

I don't consider Walmart to be my competitor ..in fact, no one is my competitor nor am I the competitor of anyone near me. Every baker develops their own style and you really end up competing with yourself to expand your skills. And if we're lucky, there will be people out there who prefer our cakes...at least sufficient to keep us baking.

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 123

Walmart did our 2 tier wedding cake 10 years ago. It tasted so so but the decorations were SOO not what I picked from the design booklet. It was a 8" tier and a 6" tier. Cost was about $150. *shudder*

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I don't consider Walmart to be my competitor ..in fact, no one is my competitor nor am I the competitor of anyone near me. Every baker develops their own style and you really end up competing with yourself to expand your skills. And if we're lucky, there will be people out there who prefer our cakes...at least sufficient to keep us baking.

Amen...well said!

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:11am
post #11 of 123

I went to the link and read their sizes. A full sheet cake serves 96? Several years ago before I started cakes, I purchased a full sheet cake and was told that it only served about 75. My cutting guide has 72. I wished that it listed dimensions. I think I lost a few servings somewhere......LOL. Actually I did see a 3 tier stacked cake at one recently for 138.00. It didn't list the sizes or servings though.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:34am
post #12 of 123

IF all I could afford was a walmart cake, I would bake a 3 tier cake at home, do a fluffy frosting (wavy like and add a few gumpaste flowers and that's that, but some people don't care about taste, and yes some people like supermarket cake taste. I actually was given a piece of supermarket cake recently that was actually good, but my Mom forgot to ask her host where it was bought, certainly would do in a pinch.

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:40am
post #13 of 123

I have never gone to Walmart to get a cake but in a pinch i guess i would. But i must say what Brevity said was so rude. Because some people chose walmart over a expensive bakery does not make them poor. Some people would rather take the extra money and go on a honeymoon, or maybe they are saving for a house. RUDE RUDE RUDE shame on you!!!!!!

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:48am
post #14 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredbymom

I went to the link and read their sizes. A full sheet cake serves 96? Several years ago before I started cakes, I purchased a full sheet cake and was told that it only served about 75. My cutting guide has 72. I wished that it listed dimensions. I think I lost a few servings somewhere......LOL. Actually I did see a 3 tier stacked cake at one recently for 138.00. It didn't list the sizes or servings though.

Full sheet cakes are 16"x24", or 384 square inches. 384 square inches/96 servings = 4 sq in per serving, or a 2"x2" piece.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:55am
post #15 of 123

I don't consider Walmart to be my competitor ..in fact, no one is my competitor nor am I the competitor of anyone near me. Every baker develops their own style and you really end up competing with yourself to expand your skills. And if we're lucky, there will be people out there who prefer our cakes...at least sufficient to keep us baking.[/quote]

I agree with you icon_smile.gif

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:26am
post #16 of 123

Lol, I find it amusing they do cakes at all. The most our Walmarts around here have in them is a McDonalds..

CakinKimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinKimi Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:31pm
post #17 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevity

.....did you not know that poor people get married too?

I actually find this very rude. Just last year I got my wedding cake from Wal-Mart for about $200 or so (I don't remember the exact price). I was on a budget and that is part of the reason I went to Wal-Mart, but also because the only real bakery around here is a friend's aunt, who's cakes are worse than Wal-Mart and not worth the money she charges. Our wedding cake actually tasted very good (I thought), but my Husband complained he thought it was too sweet.

Also, I personally think that they decorated it very well.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.421326648475.197698.774868475

^^Is a link to my wedding album on FB, there are a couple pics of the cake in there if anyone would like to see.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:38pm
post #18 of 123

I think Brevity's intent (based on my interpretation of the post) was to say that Wal*mart provides a decent wedding cake option to people who might not otherwise be able to afford them, not that everyone who buys a Wal*mart cake is poor.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:58pm
post #19 of 123

Thank you! I'm sorry I'm blatant, but really I did just mean that it takes all sorts. Not everyone can afford the high end custom shop - quite a few cannot!

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:27pm
post #20 of 123

I always feel left out of these discussions about WalMart cakes (and their taste, value, appearance, etc.) because I've never lived near a WM with a bakery, or the groceries section for that matter. icon_biggrin.gif Well, maybe not...

But to each their own - for those people who have always gotten their cakes from WM because they like them or can't afford custom cakes I think it is nice to have the option to get a wedding cake too.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:38pm
post #21 of 123

All our Wal-Marts have always done wedding cakes as far as I know. When I got married back in 2003 they were my only option besides doing it myself. I hate Wal-Mart cake so I did it myself. The cake was great and I was proud I did it myself.

However I recently had to buy some cupcakes from Dillons for my MILs impromptu birthday party. They were DELICIOUS. I mean, scrape the sides of the plastic container for crumbs delicious. The cake was so freakin moist and the icing was amazing. I hate bettercream, its all fluffy and weird but this was a whipped icing but it tasted like homemade whipped cream. Our Dillons has a Chinese restaurant in the back that serves some of the best Springfield, Missouri style cashew chicken so whenever I pick that up for dinner I always make a stop by their bakery and pick up some cuppies too.

There was a thread on here some time ago about Costco cakes and how awesome they were. We dont have a Costco around here (Im not ever sure what it is actually) so I cant comment on that but it does seem some grocery store bakeries are offering more then just frozen slabs of tasteless crap iced in bucket-o-lard with a bunch of plastic doohickeys thrown on top.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:41pm
post #22 of 123

I dont know if in England the supermarket cakes are the same, although the Asda supermarkets are owned by wal mart so there could be something. I always find them really dry and quite tasteless. I get a lot of compliments on my cakes because the people I make them for are just used to supermarket cakes so to them that's not a bad cake, that's just how cake tastes lol. We're all just a bunch of cake snobs! Its only the sponge cakes I don't like. I think fruit or carrot cakes are quite nice from the shops!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #23 of 123

The walmart cakes look like what was cool and 'in' in.... 1980!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:03pm
post #24 of 123

Haha, I love how, on that link Jason posted, they instruct you to go buy some silk flowers in their crafts department to stick on your cake! icon_smile.gif Can they not do that themselves??

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:29am
post #25 of 123

Yeah call me a cake snob cause I dont like the taste of supermarket cakes either, I say this not because I think people who cant afford better buy from them- but people who are too tight to buy quality and will compare the two without ever having tasted a REAL custom cake and dont understand how much work goes into one, I just hate when people waste my time asking for a specific design and then ask why Wal-mart is so much cheaper, anyway it was to offend no one, I guess It just irratates me because I know a few people who will spend $300.00 at a restaurant once or twice a week and turn their nose up at spending a little over $100.00 on a nice custom cake thats for a special occasion

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:45am
post #26 of 123

Had a patient tell me one time I refuse to buy my eyeglasses where I buy toilet paper...I feel the same way about a wedding cake!

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:06am
post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoratingfool

I have never gone to Walmart to get a cake but in a pinch i guess i would. But i must say what Brevity said was so rude. Because some people chose walmart over a expensive bakery does not make them poor. Some people would rather take the extra money and go on a honeymoon, or maybe they are saving for a house. RUDE RUDE RUDE shame on you!!!!!!

I just believe we do not have to be so rude,seriously,what brevity wrote do not warrant a"shame on you"pls lets use some caution.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:34am
post #28 of 123

ok, the other day I was in walmart....they had a case there with a variety of baked goods....I went over and told the girl behind the bakery case that the case was full of flies............she proptly went over opened the case, shooed out the flies and closed the case...............yum

Colorful-Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colorful-Bliss Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:12am
post #29 of 123

I worked at a Wal-Mart bakery for a year in 07'. They had wedding cakes then. Feel bad for people that look down on others for not buying a custom cake at a bakery. To each their own.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:44am
post #30 of 123

I think back to my wedding 23 years ago. My husband and I were 22 years old, just starting out in life and we were both working two jobs to save for a wedding we were paying for ourselves because our parents were unable to help. Walmart would have been a great option for us as there was no way we could have been able to afford $500.00 + for a cake. Luckily a friend of the family gifted us with a gorgeous cake.

Custom cakes are great but seriously, many young couples struggling on their own are not going to be able to afford one. There's nothing wrong with having other options available like WalMart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%