Is This A Scam?

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 7:06pm by kansaswolf

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 6

All it seems to be missing is the "Happy Married Life"... icon_confused.gif I responded to a request for information from my WeddingWire account. He didn't even attach the picture he refers to a couple times in the email... Am I jumping to conclusions? Should I even contact this guy back? Anyone else get one of these?

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my posting and apology for my late response.

Let's get down to business, I would love you to take care of our wedding cake and I would want it to be 3 tiers cake for about 100 - 120 guests. I know you would really want to make the day a memorable one for me and my fiancé.

Attached is a preferred design of the cake but it will be 2 shades of Pink.

The venue for the wedding is taking place in the apartment's compound am relocating to in Waverly, MO 64096. The date is 8th of October, 2011. The time is 12.00 noon.

I am currently living in Ithaca, NY and still very much around but working offshore in United Kingdom. I will resume back to work next weekend. I am sure we can conclude on everything before I leave.

Please, make the cake color to be 2 shades of pink and not white as shown in the picture but I want you to design it with roses. The color of the roses has to be hot pink and white and edible. I love creativity, it's a sign that am getting the best of the cake. The flavor can be 3 for each tier. (1) Vanilla (2) Strawberry and (3) Coconut.

Let me know the total cost for the cake and as regard delivery, I could arrange for pick up and you could make delivery as well.

Thanks as I await your response.

Chuck Peterson

5 replies
CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 6

Sounds like one of those CL scams. If you responde, he will probably want you to take the cost of the cake from a credit card and then arrange shipping costs that you will probably have to be reimbursed for.

Be careful as there has been quite a few threads regarding emails and blog posts like this one. tread lightly.

Crystal

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 6

I received a request from this same "person" through Wedding Wire. The one I received was eerily similar to e-mail inquiries we receive regularly for legal representation through our law firm website - same grammer and same sentence structure. Although the e-mail you received has more detail, it still says "scam" to me. from my experience.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 6

Yes! I got an email from Chuck Peterson as well. It also came from Wedding Wire. I ignored it, and the very next day it was removed from my inbox on WeddingWire. I am assuming someone else reported it as a scam. Here is the email I got:

"Name: Chuck Peterson
Email: [email protected]
Phone: Not provided

Wedding Date: Oct 08, 2011

Please send me an email with information about your services."

I am going to assume you are not in Virginia and this email is going to everyone all over the place who happens to be on Wedding Wire.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 6

Scam

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 6

I've gotten a few of these scams before, just not this one. My instincts said "SCAM!", and I figured if it really was, I'd get some confirmation here. I'm in Missouri, so I guess he's trying to get everyone.... Ugh. Some people just make me mad!

Thanks for the help everyone! icon_smile.gif I'll just delete this guy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%